Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My cats back twitches and she often starts to frantically lick

My cats back twitches and she often starts to frantically lick herself runs forward stop lick herself again and repeat. I have also noticed that she is losing fur on her back starting around the tail. Its shorter there and almost feels like it broke off. Also noticing a little white/gray in that area(shes brown) Her skin looks normal. She also has been more anxious lately. She runs from small noises and kind of creeps across the room low to the floor. Also she occasionally urinates outside of the litter box. The only thing i can think of is about 1 year ago we had her spaded, moved, and got a 2nd cat all within a couple of months. Did I mentally damage my cat? Any idea what this could be?

Her name isXXXXX is about 2 1/2 years old. Maine Coon.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

From your description, it sounds like Karma may have a neurological condition called feline hyperesthesia.

If the fur on her back, near the base of her tail seems to be breaking off, she may have a fungal skin infection called ringworm.

No, you didn't mentally damage your cat. A move to a new place often causes anxiety and stress in cats, as they are creatures of habit; adding the second cat to your household most likely added more stress, but the symptoms she's exhibiting now, do sound like they have a neurological basis.

It would be a good idea to have Karma evaluated in person by a vet, as soon as possible. Once she's definitely diagnosed, she will be treated and feeling more comfortable.

For the moment, she might benefit from a cat appeasing pheromone called Feliway/Comfort Zone for Cats, which comes in both a spray and plug-in diffuser. It's available at major pet supply stores, and also online. The diffuser resembles a plug-in air freshener, but has no scent to humans. Feliway helps to relax stressed or anxious cats, and is useful in a multitude of situations. For more information, please see:

I hope you're able to have Karma assessed by a vet as soon as possible, and all will be well.