Lynn, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  worked at a vet clinic for 18 yrs, BA in biology, experience with cats for 20+ years

My cat has scabby bumps in the head/neck area. About seven

My cat has scabby bumps in the head/neck area. About seven or so. A couple of them are large (the largest is a little smaller in diameter than a cheerio) and the bumps have increased both in number and size- she originally only had two small bumps we thought were just part of her skin, until recently when she developed more. My cat is an adult, I have only had her for about six months and I have no access to/knowledge of her medical history. She has had all her shots. She has not lost any of her fur and the bumps themselves don't seem to bother her unless we touch them. She hasn't been scratching and hasn't changed her grooming habits. You cannot see the scabs unless you part her fur to expose them-she looks normal. Does this sound like a particular condition? I do intend to take her to a vet very soon, but want to find out as much as I can.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lynn replied 7 years ago.

What color are the bumps?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the bumps are brown. Some of them appear to have small amounts of dried blood as well.
Expert:  Lynn replied 7 years ago.

This sounds like miliary dermititis from what you are describing. This is a skin condition where the cat will have crusty bumps anywhere from covering their whole body to just in one area like your cat. There can be several different underlying causes of miliary dermititis. It could be a bacterial skin infection, allergic reaction , flea bite sensitivity, or more. Here is a link to a page about this:

I'm glad to hear you are taking her to your vet soon as that is the best course of action. You don't need to do anything for her in the meantime. If she should develop any additional symptoms such as loss of appetite, or lethargy then you should get her to a vet right away.

I'm also going to give you a link to a page that has a chart of different skin conditions in cats in case I'm not getting your description right, sometimes its difficult when you can't actually see the problem:

If you have further questions let me know. If this answer is helpful please click accept. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm a little disappointed because I'd already found and read both of those web pages myself. It could definitely be miliary dermatitus, but I thought that some of her bumps were a little large for that condition. Maybe I don't have a good understanding of what is meant by small. I will take her to the vet.
Expert:  Lynn replied 7 years ago.

I'm sorry, its difficult to figure out skin conditions on-line. If you think the growths are too big for miliary dermititis another possibility are mast cell tumors. Some are cancerous, some are benign, but you do usually see more than one in an area. Here is a link to a page about these:

One thing you could do that won't hurt anything until you go to a vet is to try an antihistamine for your cat. This will help to determine if its an allergic reaction. Chlorpheniramine (chlor-trimeton) is one that works well for cats and is safe. The dosage range is 0.1-0.2 mg per pound of body weight twice daily. If this is going to help there will be an improvement fairly quickly.

Thank you,

PS- Do no click accept again because you will be charged again.