Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Why would a cat lay on its side or stomach and paw at the

Why would a cat lay on it's side or stomach and paw at the carpet with her back feet? She has a constant low whine and acts like she isn't feeling well.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. How old is your cat ?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

She is 1 1/2 years old.

She will lay and paw with her back legs and acts like she isn't feeling well. After a little while she will quit and seems to be just fine.

I am concerned. I have another cat that is 3 and she has never done this. The cat that I am asking about, my son left her with me a couple of weeks ago. Also she is an indoor cat and has never been outside.

Hello again,

One more question before I consider your reply : Has she been spayed ?

Regards,

Scott

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No she hasn't.
Thanks for the quick replies.

A. One possibility here is that your cat is in heat. Unless she is spayed or pregnant a female cat is likely to come into season for about three days each three weeks and they will typically have their first season from five or six months of age.

While the signs can be variable you can expect to see some or all of the following :

1. The cat becomes more affectionate than usual.
2. Your cat rolls around the floor.

3. She carries her tail to one side.

4. The cat becomes very vocal and meows a lot. { Calling } This vocalisation can become very noisy with loud yowls day and night. Her voice may become more piercing than usual.

5. Your cat assumes a position with her hind end in the air.

6. She may lick her genital area more and may urinate more.

B. If your cat is not in season then the low whine may mean she is in pain and if this is the case of course you should have her checked out by your vet.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS