CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My cat just started pooping on the basement floor. He still

My cat just started pooping on the basement floor. He still uses his litter box to urinate. He started doing it about 5 weeks ago and does it almost everyday. We have a 7 week old baby and a 2 year old at home. I haven't paid less attention to my cat since the baby arrived. He's always been a needy and affectionate cat. I could pet him all day and it would not be enough. He is not alone because we have another cat the same age he plays with. They are both 4 years old. What can I do?
Submitted: 7 years ago via OnlineAutoRepair.
Category: Cat
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 7 years ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your post!

Any change in appetite?

Vomiting?

Is the stool normal?

Weight loss?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I don't think there is any change in appetite. I have two cats and I keep giving them 1 1/2 cup of dry food everyday.

Normal stool.

No weight loss.

No vomiting.

Hi there,

Thank you for your post!

Surprisingly - cats can be very sensitive to changes in the house - including a new addition to the family....

If this is believed to be more behavioral, here are some options that you can try at home if not done already:

Clean all inappropriate sites with an enzymatic cleaner. Use a citrus deodorant spray or double-sided tape to discourage the cat from visiting problem areas.

You can consider adding a litterbox in the house (in general when there are issues such as this, the recommendation is to have 1 more litterbox than the number of cats in the house)

You can also add different types of litter in the house (clumping vs non clumping, scented vs unscented)

You can also place the carpet runner you use for desk chairs upside down so the little plastic spikes are facing up - in the area that he defecates - cats do not like to walk on this and will then avoid this area - hoping to use the litterbox.

Aluminum foil is another product they do not like to walk on an can be placed in areas of elimination.

There is also a product, Feliway - which emits a hormone/phermone to reduce stress to help in behavioral situations just like this!

Here are some additional links that may help (elimination and behavior related):

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3

LINK 4

LINK 5

LINK 6

I hope this information helps :)
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian