ChristineLVT
ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training
4329681

I just found a soft movable lump on my cats spine. Its really

I just found a soft movable lump on my cat's spine. It's really strange. It doesn't seem to hurt her and she let me touch it and move it. Its right under the skin. It doesn't seem to be connected b/c I'm able to move it around quite a bit. Any ideas?
Category: Cat
Expert:  ChristineLVT replied 5 years ago.
Has she been to a vet recently? If so, how recent, and what for?

How big is this lump?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

She was just in a few weeks ago for her annual check up. I need to get her back in though b/c she has a small growth on her neck that need to be removed to see if it's cancer, vet doesn't think so but I want to make sure. But the lump is about 1 inch long and not very wide it's weird. Long, soft, thin and moveable.

Did she receive a vaccine for her annual?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

She got her rabies and her distemper. But i wasn't in the room with her so I'm not sure where they gave her the shot.

Thanks for replying back so quickly.

It is most likely that what you are seeing is what is often seen in pets anywhere from immediately to 4 weeks post-vaccines. It is a generalized local reaction to the vaccine, nothing harsh- just basically a type of swelling/ inflammation where the vaccine was given or close to it that often feels like a fatty tumor. It sometimes does not appear for a few weeks after the vaccine, and should not last longer than 3 weeks once it does apear. It also can move around under the skin, and may be a few inches over from where you see it in a week, or may have moved already from where the vaccine was given.

Keep your eye on it for any signs of becoming larger or harder, or bothering your kitty; otherwise, I'd say it's safe to not worry, this isn't uncommon. Since you are going in for a mass removal of another type, your vet can always aspirate it with a needle to make sure it is indeed just inflammatory cells. I would also ask your vet that for future vaccines, they be given in an extremeity (leg), as over the years in rare cases vaccines can cause sarcomas (which are hard and 'angry') which are difficult to remove over the spine but much easier to remove on a leg with good margins.

Best of luck, and let me know if I can help further with anything.

Christine

Experience: Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training