Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

my cat has an eye problem. A puss-like fluid is present eminating

my cat has an eye problem. A puss-like fluid is present eminating from the inside corner of the eye. Also, the affected eye is closed in the morning after the cat sleeps at night and the eye becomes closed until I wipe the puss from the inside corner of the eye. Please Help.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 years ago.
Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question regarding your cat who has a sore eye with pus coming out of it! If this is just coming out of one eye, it is much less likely to be caused by conjunctivitis or the cat flu. If on the other hand both eyes seem to be affected then your boy could well have either of these problems. If just one eye is affected, I would personally be quite worried this kitty could either have a superficial corneal ulcer (caused by direct contact by a foreign object on the surface of his eye), or possibly even a foreign body such as a grass seed or something similar stuck behind the third eyelid. I would definitely recommend you get your cat's eye checked out closely by your local Vet. Here he or she should place a local anaesthetic on the surface of the eye and use opthalmological diagnostic equipment to carefully look behind your cat's third eyelid to rule out a foreign body as well as use some fluorescene dye to check the patency of the cornea. If there is a foreign body this would be removed carefully and your cat sent home with topical eye cream as would be the case too if there was a superficial corneal ulcer. Your Vet will carry out a full physical exam in order to highlight any other problems that might lead to a completely different diagnosis.

I don't feel this is urgent as in don't rush out the door right now, but do get your kitty to the Vet tomorrow morning if possible. In the meantime, continue to wipe away the discharge twice daily if you can with a soft, damp cloth.

Best of luck and do let me know how you get on. Just reply if you need more info won't you.

Thank you for your question and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards