Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Hi. My cat has been throwing up for about 3 days now and I

Hi. My cat has been throwing up for about 3 days now and I am becoming worried. He has thrown up in the past, at most twice in one day. Then it doesn't happen again for weeks. Over the past 3 days he has thrown up multiple times. His activity level has been normal until this morning. Now his "meow" is sounding a little weak. His appetite hasn't changed at all. I started him on Tobramycin eye drops 7 days ago, twice a day, for eye drainage. I'm not sure if this could be a side effect or something completely unrelated. Please help.   Thanks!

What does he eat?

Is he able to pass urine and stool?

Does he have an eye infetcion or cold?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He eats Iams (dry food) Hairball Pelief proactive Health, and Pounce treats. He has milk about 3-4 times a week, and occasionlly some canned tuna fish 'juice'. As far as his eye, I'm not sure which one it was. I thought it was an infection. Only one eye was effected. I noticed one morning that he was excessively cleaning/rubbing one eye. Then I noticed alot of brown drainage. By the next day it was puffy and reddened around the rim. I tried to clean it out and used warm soaks for a few days. It got better for a day or so then it started to come back. It was then that I started to use the drops. I used them for about 6-7 days now, twice a day. His eyes look much better at this point.

Dear friend,

I am so sorry your boy is not feeling well.

If his eye is beter, discontinue the drops.

If he eats dry food that may be the culprit. PLEASE READ:

http://www.catinfo.org/

Lack of fluid in the bowel also leads to vomiting, Ingested hair can also be a factor.Anorexia for any extended time leads to liver damage and causes nausea and vomiting as well.

I would add some canned or baby food for her

Serve the two foods separately - do not mix them - add a half pepsid a/c tablet, crushed up into the wet food one time a day.

Cats are attracted to smelly foods - the stronger the better. If he wants tuna, give it to him.You can also try fancy feast, clam juice or baby food.

human baby food in meat flavours (check that there are no onions or garlic in the ingredients) and mix that with warm water and offer that, or syringe it in little bits into your cat's mouth. Beech Nut makes a line of baby food that has nothing but meat (beef, chicken, turkey or veal) in it. Here's a link: http://www.beechnut.com/Our%20Baby%20Food/Results.asp If you cannot find this, you could find another meat baby food - just read the label carefully to be sure there are no onions, onion powder, garlic, or garlic powder in it.

.

If his tummy needs a rest, feed baby food with no onion or garlic for a few days.

If he wont eat, and your cat is not diabetic begin by giving him two droppers (cc size) of unflavored pedialyte every ten minutes for an hour. Next water down(plain water) canned cat food or baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic and give only one dropper every ten minutes for another hour. Wait two hours and repeat both. When he feels hydrated he will lick up the gruel on his own.

Give him droppers of unflavored pedialyte a few times a day to make sure he stays hydrated.

If he throws it up have him seen immedately

Please let me know how he is doing. I will always be here for you.

I hope he feels better very soon.

Sincerest best wishes,

Terri

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Now that I read your response I have one more concern. I have noticed that over the past couple of monthes my cats coat is becoming more and more matted. I thought it was because he was outdoors more and gtting dirty playing in the dirt. Could this be another sign of dehydration?

Yes, poor coat could be a symptom of dehydration.

It may also be due to hyperthyroid:

Here is a link for more information for hyperthyroidism in cats.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=&A=1197&SourceID=

I would change him over to wet food for now.

If his symptoms continue it is best to have his vet check him out.

I hope all will be well.

Best wishes for him,

Terri