Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My cat is throwing up. Nothing but spit. He hasnt eaten

My cat is throwing up. Nothing but spit. He hasn't eaten or drank anything in over 24 hours. He doesn't act like he's in pain but just sick. He's 17 years old. What could be wrong. He has always been one of those cats that spit up a lot. He's a long hair. But he's normally a good eater - this is the first time he's been sick like this.
Hi there,

What is his usual food?

Is he urinating ok?

Indoor kitty?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He usually gets a little canned cat food in the morning with dry kibble available throughout the day. He has urinated once in the litter box since yesterday morning. Yes, he's an indoor kitty.

Dear frien,

I am sorry your elderly boy is not feeling well.

If he eats dry food that may be the culprit. PLEASE READ:

Cats dont get bugs" but they do get infections. I would suspect an abscessed tooth, an infection or a GI upset or acid reflux. Even though he may not appear underhdrated, he still can be.

Feel all over his body and see if he reacts to any painful spots.

Make sure he is able to urinate. He should be seen ASAP if he can't!!

Cats that eat dry can have bouts of dehyration.Indigestion is caused by inadequate chewing. Vomiting is very common. When acid reflux builds up in the stomach, they begin to vomit. Even if they have always eaten this,, they often become intolerant to corn and gluten which are used as filers in most supermarket cat foods.Vets push science diet because they sell it but it is not a great food as it too contains corn and gluten.

Lack of fluid in the bowel also leads to vomiting, Ingested hair can also be a factor.Anorexia for any extended time leads to liver damage and causes nausea and vomiting as well.

I would add some canned or baby food for him

Serve the two foods separately - do not mix them - add a half pepsid a/c tablet, crushed up into the wet food one time a day.

The first thing I would suspect is an abscessed tooth or root in his gum.

Cats are attracted to smelly foods - the stronger the better. If he wants tuna, give it to him.You can also try fancy feast, clam juice or baby food.

human baby food in meat flavours (check that there are no onions or garlic in the ingredients) and mix that with warm water and offer that, or syringe it in little bits into your cat's mouth. Beech Nut makes a line of baby food that has nothing but meat (beef, chicken, turkey or veal) in it. Here's a link: If you cannot find this, you could find another meat baby food - just read the label carefully to be sure there are no onions, onion powder, garlic, or garlic powder in it.

If his tummy needs a rest, feed baby food with no onion or garlic for a few days.

If he wont eat, and your cat is not diabetic begin by giving him two droppers (cc size) of unflavored pedialyte every ten minutes for an hour. Next water down(plain water) canned cat food or baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic and give only one dropper every ten minutes for another hour. Wait two hours and repeat both. When he feels hydrated he will lick up the gruel on his own.

Give him droppers of unflavored pedialyte a few times a day to make sure he stays hydrated.

If he throws it up have him seen immedately by a vet.

He should also be checked for:

Please let me know how he is doing. I will always be here for you.

I hope he feels better very soon.

Sincerest best wishes,