Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

How can I tell if my cat was bitten by a snake or stung or

How can I tell if my cat was bitten by a snake or stung or bitten by a scorpion or spider? She is in pain (angry vocalizations and hissing when handled), withdraws right hind leg from touch, and has dilated pupils but as yet no drooling, incontinence, diarrhea or vomiting. I can find no significant swelling or bite marks on the leg or foot. The injury probably happened within the last 90 minutes.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi,Customer and thanks for your question.

If your cat was bitten by a snake or spider, you would most likely see two fang marks, pretty close together, and swelling at the site. If you don't see this, and her only symptom is a pain reaction in her right hind leg, she may have been incurred injury/trauma to that leg or hip, and that is causing her discomfort. Her dilated pupils may be due to her pain/stress response.

If you suspect she was bitten/stung by a spider, snake, or scorpion, and/or if she injured that leg, she needs to be evaluated in person by a vet, immediately. If it's now after hours for you, please bring her to the nearest ER vet center for an in person assessment and treatment.

I hope she's feeling much better, very soon.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. Because of our very remote location, immediate or even prompt veterinary care is not an option. By this time there are still not the physical signs I would expect if this were snake bite. Even though I can find no bite marks, there is swelling and pain so in the absence of any additional worrisome symptoms, we will let her rest as she wants and take her to a vet first thing in the morning.
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply and accept.

If you are in a very remote location, keep her quiet and confined, as you have been doing, continue to monitor her, and yes, bring her to the vet first thing in the morning. A 'neurotoxin' from a spider bite or snake bite would have caused symptoms by it's good you still see nothing. I hope she'll be fine!

Cher (please do NOT click 'accept' an additional time)