CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My cat keeps pooping under my bed or in the living room. She

My cat keeps pooping under my bed or in the living room. She is 3-1/2 months old. I live on a second floor apt. If I confine her to the bathroom, kitchen and a small part of the hall she will
always go in the litter box. She was laying with me on my bed last night, and she is so light so
I never hear her jump off the bed, well all of a sudden I got this waft of oder and she had popped under the bed. I am afraid to give her the run of the house because she has gone in the living room also. I clean the rug and spray it with a spray I got from the pet store. I don't know what to do. I love her and would hate to get rid of her. Please help...
Category: Cat
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your post!

Whenever I have a case such as this, the question is - why are they not using the litterbox, or defecating outside the litterbox...is there an underlying cause or is this just bad behavior???

Unfortunately, there is no "bad behavior" test. This is a diagnosis of exclusion - meaning that you need to make sure there is not an underlying cause:

In a kitten such as this - most systemic diseases are really unlikely - but it would be a good diea to bring a fecal sample to your veterinarian to make sure there are no parasites that may be playing a role in this...

Although this is possible, yes - unfortunately this may be a case of a behavioral issue in reading your history above!

Here are some options that you can try at home if not done already:

Clean all inappropriate sites with an enzymatic cleaner. Use a citrus deodorant spray or double-sided tape to discourage the cat from visiting problem areas.

You can consider adding a litterbox in the house (in general when there are issues such as this, the recommendation is to have 1 more litterbox than the number of cats in the house)

You can also add different types of litter in the house (clumping vs non clumping, scented vs unscented)

You can also place the carpet runner you use for desk chairs upside down so the little plastic spikes are facing up - in the area that she defecates - cats do not like to walk on this and will then avoid this area - hoping to use the litterbox.

Aluminum foil is another product they do not like to walk on an can be placed in areas of elimination.

There is also a product, Feliway - which emits a hormone/phermone to reduce stress to help in behavioral situations just like this!

Here are some additional links that may help (elimination and behavior related):

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3

LINK 4

LINK 5

LINK 6

I hope this information helps :)
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If there are parasites why would this make her poop on the rug?
Also what is a enzymatic cleaner? What is a citrus spray?
Hi there,

Parasites or any infectious cause may increase her urgency to go and therefore defecate in abnormal places.

You can try a spray which has the scent of citrus, such as an orange as cats dislike this smell.

An enzymatic cleaner is one that will thoroughly eliminate the smell of urine or feces so they do not go there...smell feces from before...then decide it is ok to poop there again.