Lynn
Lynn, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  worked at a vet clinic for 18 yrs, BA in biology, experience with cats for 20+ years

Can a cat take Loratadine for seasonal pollen allergies Our

Can a cat take Loratadine for seasonal pollen allergies?
Our Abyssinian starts over-grooming her belly every summer to the point where she gets raw patches. We treat this with GentaVed spray twice a day, and when it gets bad we put on an E-Collar. But it makes me wonder if a histamine blocker could prevent this in the first place.
I read somewhere that 5mg/day of Loratadine could be used on cats.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lynn replied 4 years ago.
Have you ever tried any antihistimine for her?

Lynn
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We haven't, but I think a few times when she got bad and we took her in, our vet gave her an antibiotic shot.

Expert:  Lynn replied 4 years ago.

I would definitely recommend trying an antihistimine for her. They have a high success rate in cats.   Some vets do use Loratadine, but it isn't as widely used as others so isn't usually the first thing to try. You can try chlorpheniramine (chlor-trimeton) first as its an antihistimine that is fairly safe and generally has good results.   The dosage for cats is 0.1 mg per pound of body weight twice daily.   

I believe its more likely that your vet gave her a corticosteroid injection rather than an antibiotic as these are commonly used for allergy problems and work well.   If the antihistimine doesn't work then I would recommend consulting your vet about trying a different antihistimine or possibly a corticosteroid. Here is a link to a page about allergies in cats:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2141&aid=502

If you have further questions let me know. If this answers your question please click accept. Thank you.

Lynn

Lynn, Veterinary Assistant
Experience: worked at a vet clinic for 18 yrs, BA in biology, experience with cats for 20+ years
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I know that in Humans anyway, histamine blockers have almost no side-effects compared to antihistamines, so I'd think for prolonged use over several weeks that would be better, at least if it worked that way in cats. I suspect it's just that they're newer and so haven't been tried much. We asked our vet a few years ago but it seemed he just wasn't familiar with blockers.

Ah well - seems to be pretty much the stock answer but thanks - I'll accept.

Expert:  Lynn replied 4 years ago.
I think you are right that they just aren't widely used so no one (including vets) knows much about them.   Also, cats are more sensitive to certain drugs that don't bother humans at all. For example tylenol will kill a cat.    Best wishes for her!

Thanks,

Lynn

PS- Don't click accept again or you will be charged again.
Expert:  Lynn replied 4 years ago.
Just a little more information that I found that I thought you might want to know.   Loratadine is an antihistimine not a histimine blocker.    Here is a link to Claritin's website:

http://www.claritin.com/claritin/products/ClaritinTablets.jspa

Thank you.

Lynn

PS-Please do NOT click accept again :o)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well I think it's a matter of your definitions.

The consumer website for Claritin is written very much in layman's terms.

Some people use the term "antihistamine" to mean both the traditional type and the newer blockers. The technical papers all describe Loratadine as a blocker.

Oh well - the main thing I was looking for was confirmation that cats didn't have some feline-specific reaction to loratadine, which it sounds like they don't.

I might try it based on body weight ratio to the human dose (like <1mg for a 10 LB cat) when we take her collar off this season.

Expert:  Lynn replied 4 years ago.
No, it is definitely used in cats.

Thanks,
Lynn