CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

what can cause a feline bloated stomach. been diagnosed with

Customer Question

what can cause a feline bloated stomach. been diagnosed with diabetis. on Science Diet m-d diet.
Glucose level increased plus gained almost a pound in 3 weeks.
Category: Cat
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 7 years ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your post!

How old is your cat?

When was the diabetes diagnosed?

The stomach seems bloated today?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Kia is over 13 years of age. She was diagnosed 3 weeks ago. With special diet no change. Today her glucose level was higher plus she gained close to a pound. Yes, the stomach is still bloated.
Possible causes for a bloated, otherwise termed "distended" abdomen include:
- Fluid in the abdomen (heart disease, liver disease, etc.)
- Constipation causing stool in the colon
- Benign growth or a benign mass on an organ
- Potentially a cancerous mass on an organ such as the liver or spleen).

Although it does not seem like you need to rush to the ER - this is a situation where I would recommend making an appointment with your veterinarian.

Moreover, if the glucose is higher - it seems as if diet alone is not going to work and insulin therapy may be needed.

With the entire history - tests such as x-rays of the abdomen and bloodwork would give you great information on the appearance of the organs in the abdomen and organ values on the bloodwork.

Moreover, to get a very good look at the organs - an ultrasound may be discussed.

I hope this information helps and guides you!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.