CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

cat: is keeping her left eye closed..puss..lethargic & wont eat.

My cat is keeping her left eye closed. It's cloudy & has some puss in it. She's lethargic & won't eat. She just tried to eat & threw up. She's normally very active. This has been going on since Friday.
Category: Cat
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 7 years ago.
Hi there,

Welcome to and thank you for your post!

Based on your description, possible causes may include:

- Infection
- Corneal ulcer or abrasion

- Viral URI
- etc.

When I am presented with a case such as this, tests that I would consider include:
- Using a special test to see if there is corneal damage (Fluoroscein)
- Measuring the pressure in the eye to test for glaucoma
- Looking into the eye with a light and a special lens to look at the retina

To get to the bottom of this - I would recommend a visit to your veterinarian - as specific medications such as antibiotics may be needed.

To start - you can certainly offer some care at home - you can try to lubricate and flush the eye with saline solution. You can go to the pharmacy and ask for ophthalmic saline, or have a look in the contact lens section. You can flush the eyes 2-3 times per day.

I hope this information helps!

PLEASE let me know if you have additional questions!
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.