Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My cat is laying limp crying and breathing very heavily. She

Customer Question

My cat is laying limp crying and breathing very heavily. She doesn't wince when I push towards her abdominal area or her chest, but occasionally she dues stretch out and it seems that each time she does 2 of her 4 paws will stiffen up in those limbs. I'm worried she may have had a stroke. Also, a little while back she did let loose of some bodily fluids, which worries me as we had a cat once that had some of these symptoms and she passed within 20 - 30 minutes.

* Later we found the other animal had white gums though, and apparently hadn't been drinking the water we'd put down for her, not sure why....but it seems she passed from dehydration. My cat I am with right now however has darker pink gums with a light gray-ish tint, so I'm not thinking that she's dehydrated. Also her body weight hasn't changed at all.

PLEASE HELP ME IN ANY WAY YOU CAN WITH SOME ADVICE - I have no money for a vet. :(
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

I'm very sorry to hear that your little one is in this shape. I'm going to be very honest and direct in saying that she sounds very much like she's suffering severely and dying. The fact that she's lying limp, crying, and stretching out all point towards her body shutting down. What the cause for this is, is something that we most likely won't be able to determine. I know that you don't want to see her suffer. It would absolutely be the most kind thing for her to get her to the vet so they can look her over. If you don't have the finances to pursue further tests and therapy, the decision to let her go humanely can then be made. I know this isn't the choice that you want to make, but it is the kindest one that might be made for her if she's as bad as I'm picturing.

Please get her in. They'll help you to make the best decision.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was kinda looking for some other advice. For example, our suspicion was that she'd had some form of feline stroke. As a vet can you tell me what side effects an animal would have in this case and what her chances of pulling out of this are?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.
Could she have had a vascular accident such as a stroke? Definitely. These events will typically occur very suddenly and cause very severe respiratory distress or death if the lungs or heart are involved. If the clot goes to the hind legs, it will cause paralysis of the rear legs. Could this be a mirad of other diseases too? YES. She could have renal failure, severe liver failure, severe diabetes, just to name a few things. Very honestly, I can't give you chances of her pulling out of this because I don't know what it is she has. It sounds very severe by what you're describing. My gut feeling based on your descriptions so far is that she is going to pass away. Can you video what she's doing and post on you tube for me to view?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The end part got cut off, but what I was trying to say is that she's been laying there like this for some time. Her mouth hung open, slimie (nasty) looking inside and she smells bad.

I know that none of this is her fault, but describing what I see in hopes that it will give you a better ability to diagnose whatever the problem may be.

I will wait by my laptop for your reply. Sadly though, I don't think she's going to make it through the night, which is what we would need to get her in to any kind of vet other than the 24 hour emergency "animal hospital" in Saginaw, Mi and the only thing they seem to be focused on is money money and money, up front and before each treatment unless we have top credit or a credit card to give them so they can bill as they go.

At this point all I can do is just sit here watching and hope she's not in too much pain.

Jeffrey S. Wyrick
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.
Jeffrey,

I'm going to be extremely honest and say that your little girl is dying. I've unfortunately seen that look too many times in patients that have come into the hospital and we diagnosed them with some very, very bad disease. I know you are hoping that she's not in too much pain, I am hoping that too. But, I can't guarantee that.   I would absolutely say that the most compassionate thing that you can do for her now is to take her to that ER clinic to have her euthanized in a humane manner. I know they can be costly, but if you are going in to have her put down (the last gift you can give her for the loyalty and love that she's given to you to this point in time), they'll be able to tell you how much it will be exactly when you call.

Again, she isn't going to make it through the night. I can pretty much say that with confidence even though I haven't examined her. I would guess that she's in severe renal failure. That is what it looks like.

Please help her to move on.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yeah that would have been my second thought. When my last cat passed it turned out that she wasn't drinking water and we'd been too busy that week to notice, talk about a massive guilt trip. Anyhow, she passed from what the vet later diagnosed to be dehydration and as she was going she let go of a lot of bodily fluids.

In this case though, Tiger only let out a small amount of uring and it's her breath that smells aweful. What I don't get is the mucus looking slimie stuff in her mouth and what looks like a black almost mossy looking patch on the roof of her mouth towards the back, though the black could be the color of her inner mouth and the surface could be from the fact that she's been laying there with her mouth open. I'm not 100% sure on that one, but I'll admit that I'm more than a bit shocked at the low amount of urine.

At this point though, I wish I could give you more for your time, but part of my problem here is that I'm between pay and don't have great credit. With that in mind I hope you will accept my deepest heart-felt gratitude for taking the time to talk to me through this and even look at the video on you tube. To me that definately went the extra mile.

Thank you,
Jeffrey S. Wyrick
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.
I wish I could have given you a great answer to fix your little one. Please don't worry about giving me any monetary credit for this. I would like you to help her out by getting her to the ER clinic to have them help her to end her suffering.

The low amount of urine is due to her body being very dehydrated too. The slimy stuff in her mouth most likely is her little saliva that she's producing that she can't swallow because she's so sick. It could also be a little bit of vomit in the back of her mouth.

Again, I wish I could do more for you.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dr Bruce,

The money has already been sent and sadly she passe not long after this. I'm thinking that it's like you said initially, where she was very sick and it as something much more serious than just the need for fluids in her system, though I'm sure that couldn't have in any way hurt things for sure.

At any rate, my bigger question was if you were local to the Bay City, Mi area. However, it seems that you would prefer not to be public about that and this is fine. I am going to click to accept again now, so at the very least you will get a little bit more for your efforts.

Jeffrey S. Wyrick
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.
I'm very sorry that your little girl passed. I have seen, unfortunately, a lot presenting to the ER clinic just like her and they were all ones very soon to pass. Know that she's not feeling any pain now.

I'm not in the Bay City, MI area. I'm actually in the center of Iowa. At times though, I wish I was in MI. I have some friends there on the upper peninsula and I don't get to visit them enough. MI is a beautiful state. I'm glad that you felt that comfortable enough with me to want to continue to seek my opinion and care for future animals. I'm on Just Answer a great deal (not all the time though) and if you ever want to ask any more questions, you can ask for me.

My condolences,l
Bruce