Christian K.
Christian K., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in feline surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

my cat has these little black bugs crawling in her hair im

Customer Question

my cat has these little black bugs crawling in her hair im not sure what they are or how she got them? What are they and what should i do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Christian K. replied 5 years ago.

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. It sounds like you are seeing fleas. They are very small and very quick. They bite, suck blood and cause itching. Here's a link about fleas:

http://www.petplace.com/cats/flea-infestation-in-cats/page1.aspx

Here are some suggestions for flea control. To be effective, 3 important steps must be taken:

1) Controlling fleas outside

2) Controlling fleas inside the house

3) Controlling fleas on your pet

Each of these steps target different steps in the flea life cycle that includes egg, larva, young adult, and adult. Targeting different steps of this life cycle will lead to quicker flea control

Outside Control

• Yard Treatment- Pay special attention to shady areas frequented by pets/animals with insecticide spray or granular application. Most pest treatment companies offer yard treatments. Follow all the warnings and instructions for the insecticide you use.
  • Stray Animals are a source of continued flea infestation and should be discouraged from entering your yard.

Inside Control

• Frequent Vacuuming- Young fleas are encased in a cocoon that makes them completely indestructible. Vacuuming induces the fleas to hatch from their cocoon. Emptying your vacuum bag immediately after use or placing moth balls, a flea collar or flea powder in the bag will kill those fleas induced to hatch by the vacuum. Pay close attention to carpeted areas and upholstery.
  • Wash Bedding- wash any bedding frequently used by your pets to kill flea eggs and larva
  • Indoor Pesticides- There are many over the counter foggers and carpet treatments available. Pay close attention to the label instructions and if you have other pets in the house (bird especially) be sure to remove them from the area of treatment for the amount of time recommended by the manufacturer.

Pet Flea Control (All of these products are available through your veterinarian)

• Frontline Plus Topspot- This product is applied once monthly and is extremely safe for your pet. Flea control occurs in two ways. It kills the adult fleas on contact and has an ingredient that sterilizes eggs laid by infected females. Frontline also controls ticks.
  • Capstar Tablets- The "flea bath in a pill". This is an extremely safe drug that has a quick kill effect that lasts for several hours and kills all fleas on your pet. This is great for pets with many fleas or in situations where a new pet is introduced to your home.
  • Advantage- This product is extremely safe and kills adult fleas very effectively but does not have effects on the flea eggs. Advantage is excellent for inside pets that do not have tick problems.

Over the Counter Flea Control- A large number of flea control products exist in the "over the counter" market. Most are variations of permethrin or pyrethrin products which have been around for years. Due to resistance developed by fleas to these products they are not nearly as effective as they used to be. Additionally, young and old pets and especially cats can be harmed by these products. If you decide to use these products be sure to follow the label directions exactly and only on the animals and ages they are labeled for.

Do you have more questions I can answer for you?