CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

I have 4 sphynx and they are coughing and sneezing. They woke

I have 4 sphynx and they are coughing and sneezing. They woke up today and have runny eyes with some discharge. I took them to my vet and he said it was viral and would clear up in 7-10 days. It has been 7 days and they are getting worse by the day. He put them on amoxi and atarax twice a day in case it would turn bacterial, but it doesnt seem to be helping. Please advise if there is anything else I can do. Thanks

Hi there,

I agree, although still present at day 7, your history certainly fits well with a viral feline upper respiratory infection.

Aside from the treatment you are currently using, another therapy option to discuss with your veterinarian, and is quite common, is the use of lysine. Lysine stops the virus from replicating. Once this starts working, and the virus stops replicating, the immune system is better able to fight the infection.

Although Lysine is one of the most common treatment options, there are several others to look into and discuss with your veterinarian including:

- Interferon
- Vaccines
- Topical Antivirals
- Topical Antibiotics (if needed)

I am also going to include several links which I hope will help:

I hope this information and links above are helpful.
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.