Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Ive been seeing little light beige color maggot-like worms

Customer Question

I've been seeing little light beige color maggot-like worms around the cat litter, the carpeting around the house and in the kitchen. I have an adult cat and two 7 week old kittens. All are healthy and eat well and have no vomiting or diarrhea. This started over a week ago around the time when the kittens started eating solid food and there were no worms when they were milk feeding.I though they might be maggots from a trash can which is near the litter but both are cleaned regularly. I have also not seen any worms in their stool or around their anal area. The worms are about 1/3 inch long and have a black tip on one end. Can I give them an OTC dewormer just in case or should I take a sample to the vet to confirm?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like these are tapeworm segments. They will usually be found around the anus but sometimes you just see them in the litter box and on the carpet where they were sitting. The medication of choice for tapeworms is Droncit or Drontal. This will have to be purchased from your vet as the over the counter dewormers do not usually treat tapes, only rounds and hooks.

I would also get all the cats on flea preventative as usually the tapeworms are obtained by ingesting fleas. Even if you're not seeing any fleas, does not mean that there are not larval and egg stages in the environment. You can start them all on Frontline flea prevention- it is over the counter, effective and safe.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.