Dr.S., Epidemiologist & Veterinarian
Experience:  licensed veterinarian; infectious disease epidemiologist (15+ yrs); knowledgeable about zoonoses

What is the lifespan of a bengal cat?

Customer Question

What is the lifespan of a bengal cat?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr.S. replied 7 years ago.
Hello Catsclaw
Your information is correct - 12-16 years is the average lifespan for Bengals.
I dont know of any data that shows Bengals are at risk of dying from anything other than what other cat breeds die of. Unfortunately, far too many cats die from being hit by cars. FeLV, FIP, and FIV are common and can lead to death if cats are not vaccinated. If kitties live to be geriatrics, they can develop diabetes and suffer complications from that, thyroid problems, kidney disease, cancer....   Bengals may be more likely to get into toxins because of their curious nature. Also, I suspect that because Bengals demand more attention than other breeds, they are often relinquished for bad behavior that stems from boredom and lack of attention - hopefully they are re-homed rather than just abandoned.
I take it you are worried about having only a short time left with your Bengal friend. Remember, averages are just averages. There are always cats that live far past the averages, especially with good care. Be sure to have blood work done on him each year to check for kidney function and other parameters, get him his vaccines, an examination - take care of any tooth issues, or other health problems as they come up. Focus on enjoying him while he is here, and try not to focus too much on the "what ifs". Take pictures now so you have some to remember him. Its always hard to lose a four legged friend, but unfortunately, their lifespans are not what ours are.
Enjoy your bengal boy!