Andrea Roberts
Andrea Roberts, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years as a companion animal veterinarian; BVMS and MRCVS.
10379358

Our 15 yr old cat has dilated eyes, walking in circles, seems

Our 15 yr old cat has dilated eyes, walking in circles, seems to have loss of strength in hind legs. Tried taking her to water and litter box. Held her and she nuzzled and kneaded and licked my nose - all very unusual for her and a VERY independent cat. Think she is looking for a place to lay down and pass?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Andrea Roberts replied 7 years ago.

Hi there

The most common reason for an old cat to suddenly have very dilated pupils is a condition called 'retinal detachment'- the usual cause of this is high blood pressure, which in turn is usually either caused by a kidney or heart problems.

The other possibility is that she has had some sort of neural damage- such as a small brain haemorhage or stroke- that has affected her sight.

My advise would be to get her to your vets for a check up today- they will very quickly be able to tell if she does have retinal detachment, and although this is pretty irreversible, a lot of cats cope quite well with being blind, as long as the underlying illness is addressed, so i suspect your vet would want to check her out with some blood tests for her kidney and thyroid function (thyroid problems can also cause high blood pressure)

I do hope she's ok

Regards Andrea