Lynn
Lynn, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  worked at a vet clinic for 18 yrs, BA in biology, experience with cats for 20+ years
6035727

why does my female cat bite itself until there are open so

why does my female cat bite itself until there are open sores?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lynn replied 7 years ago.

This is likely due to a compulsive disorder called psychogenic alopecia. Sometimes there is an underlying medical cause that triggers this behavior such as fleas, skin infection, hyperthyroidism, or others. Other times it is just a behavior problem that can be triggered by stress.
Here is a link to a page about this, scroll down the page to get to the section about it:

http://www.tufts.edu/vet/vet_common/pdf/petinfo/dvm/case_march2005.pdf

I recommend taking your kitty in for a check up to determine if there is a medical problem or not. If there is no medical condition this disorder can be treated with anti-anxiety medications. You will have to ask your vet about them.

If you have further questions let me know. If this answers your question please click accept. Thank you.

Lynn