Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My 18 month old Siamese cat is drooling all of a sudden, I

My 18 month old Siamese cat is drooling all of a sudden, I bought my wife a lucky bamboo plant yesterday and she saw him nibbling at it and sprayed him. I inspected the plant and I can't even really see any evidence of of him chewing it. I know its listed on the ASPCA web site as toxic I can't find any more info. I called the Emergency Vet I use and they (who give lectures on Toxic Plants, are not familiar with it) Other than the drooling, he's not acting any different then normal. Any Ideas??
   Outside of Boston
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

While I cannot diagnose this for you over the internet I can tell you the following :

It is certainly possible that the lucky bamboo plant is responsible for the salivation if your cat swallowed any of it. It is very encouraging though that this is the only symptom you are seeing. Where I have seen this situation in the past and it has been plant toxin related the majority of the cats returned to normal over a two to three day period without any treatment. It would probably be wise to get rid of this plant just in case.

I can make a list for you of all the possible causes of excess salivation I have personally seen in my years as a vet in practice. What your cat is suffering from will more than likely be on this list. { the scientific name is ptyalism } :

1. A foreign body like a stick or fish hook stuck in the mouth or throat.

2. Ulcers or wounds in the mouth.

3. Poisons, like chewing wood with old lead paint on it, certain plants in the garden or house, chemicals from the environment, cats lifting toads with their mouths.

4. Infections, bacterial or viral centered in the mouth, throat or salivary gland.

5. Salivary gland defects such as sialoceles.

6. It is very rare but cancers of the mouth and throat are possible.

My advice : Given that the only symptom you are seeing is excess salivation it may be best to just monitor things and see how it goes. If the situation does not resolve or if there is any deterioration or other symptoms occur then you should seek hands on veterinary help without delay.

Here is a link to a web page which covers this subject so you can research it in depth : LINK

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank You Dr., I already got rid of the plant. As I said, I don't think he has anything else going on. His eyes are a little dilated, but I don't think more than normal. Is there anything I should give him or just let him be. He doesn't seam to have any adverse affects to his appetite.
Hello again,

I think in your cat's situation I would just let him be and monitor the situation, as I said most cats will slowly recover if it is a plant poison but be vigilant for other symptoms.

Good luck,