Dr Caroline
Dr Caroline, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 yrs of cat dog practice, general practice, emergency, certified in veterinary acupuncture 2006
13981167

cats: old tom, now neutered..stitches..his twice daily..good health

Customer Question

hi Dr. Caroline,
we are frustrated at integrating our "drop in" old tom, now neutered, into the great family... as you may remember he came to us quite injured but recovered nicely after a few stitches... He remains very good with people, demands his twice daily almost-lap time, and is in good health. His jowls are almost completely gone, and his manners and obedience are good.... except!!! with any of the other cats... He viscously attacks any cat within reach without provocation. We fear he might actually take them to the death... We have three plug-in felaway injectors in the house, one in "his" room, and have tried every behavioral training method in our book... so, the question: should we, as maybe a last resort, try a drug like Prozac? I would value your opinion on this....

hope this finds you well, will wait your response

chuck, nan, and the family
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lynn replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Caroline is not on-line. Would you like someone else to answer your question?

Lynn

Expert:  Dr Caroline replied 5 years ago.

Hi Chuck,

glad to hear from you!

Ouch, not a good situation.

You can try medication, prozac is one of them (Called fluoxetine). Keep in mind it takes up to a whole month to see changes.

I know you might already do this, however here is a site about feline enrichment, and see if there is anything else you may find in the conflict between cats section:

http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/2348.htm

Make sure the other cats are feeling not threatened, since if they show anxiety, it may trigger this ex-tom cat.

Also, sorry to say, but this may never resolve. You have worked a great deal (good job!) on this, but some kitty may just never turn around and will stay wild and defend their territory.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Hello to Nan and the rest of the critters.

Dr Caroline, Veterinarian
Experience: 20 yrs of cat dog practice, general practice, emergency, certified in veterinary acupuncture 2006
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
right, not a good one... he is responding to other "training" like not going out of his room when the door is accidently open, unless of course there is a burning reason like a cat... he comes to call, responds to many suggestions and is generally a pretty bright cat... thanks for the reference to the Ohio State site, good info, and we will continue to try things... I wonder if there is just a lot of residual hormone in his body, he is almost without the Tom jowls" but a little remains... maybe that's the store house... the other cats do feel his force and tend to avoid any contact, even through the glass...

our plan is to try to introduce the most calm outer members, one at a time, through the glass, one of us on either side providing reassurance, and then see what can come of a nose to nose meeting, restrained of course... hi is very strong, although not big and is not above tearing the **** out of my arm if he doesn't want to be held...

which brings another question: are cats ever bred to fight, like the illegal dog fights? I haven't heard of such, but strange people are strange... anything is possible suppose...

we might try fluoxetine since his actions are quite bipolar.... maybe thorazine since he really borders on certification {:>))

thanks as usual for your help, note you are not on line much these days... busy I suppose, as we all are..otherwise, all is well here, a couple of the wild crowd are back in the wild by choice, visiting often, but not interested in home life...

chuck, nan, and the mob

Hi Chuck,

one other thing when you try to introduce a kitty to another, try petting the resident cat then the "Tom boy", just to get him to get use to the smell of the others. It maybe impossible to change this behavior if he has been this way for years, and some cats just do not do well in a multi cat household. However, it looks like you are doing a lot of job to make this happen. So, word of caution, be careful of you and the resident ones. If the resident cat are stressed, they need some good stuff to calm them too.

Hello to the cat mob!

Caroline

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi Carolne,
we always reward the others for staying calm... and catnip does wonders for them, although in the early times, that could provoke hostility.. after a while, trust was built up and things went better... we will hope for the same with "Studs"... I think our good fortune of having 6 ferals dumped on our doorstep over the last 6 months has had something to do with the difficulty we are having with studs... although, he was the last one to arrive, the four previous were still in their diapers..... two of those have chosen the outdoors, the other two, a forest cat and an American bobtail, are inside at night, learning to trust us, but still very wild... too many too soon, so we will need a special dose of patience I think....

Chelsea, by the way, continues as a reasonably happy blind cat, nosing her way around the familiar parts of the house, hollering when lost, and likewise informing us when she can't find the litter box... good, maybe over good, appetite, but still not gaining weight.... not strong enough for aggressive testing I think, so we will just let her be.. still loves contact and petting, on her schedule, and is without obvious pain... interesting cat...

best to you and yours, will keep you posted on studs' progress (we hope {:>)) many thanks again

chuck, nan and 13

Good to hear from Chelsea. They can be blind and do very well, as you have noticed I'm sure.

Keep up the good work, be careful and keep me posted!