CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My cat hurt her paw. Will this heal on its own

Customer Question

My cat seems to have hurt her paw. She doesn't want me to touch it or rub /scratch her. She doesn't seem to have any visible injury (cuts or bleeding). She really doesn't want me to touch her stomach. Is this related or another issue? she has been eating flies, moths and caught a baby bird the other day. Please let me know your thoughts.
Category: Cat
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Without a diagnosis, it is a little hard to say whether the paw will heal on its own. I am certainly glad to know that there are no obvious injuries, such as a cut and moreover bleeding.

There are times when cats can jump and injure themselves...a soft tissue or muslce strain, sprain, or bruise.

There are other times when cats can break (fracture) one of their little toes, and although they are quite stoic and do not cry a lot, then tend to limp primarily when this happens.

To make sure there is not a break or something more serious, I would recommend veterinary evaluation

Your vet can take a close look to make sure there is not a wound or infection and even consider an x-ray to look at the bones.

Until then, just to be more thorough I tend to not recommend over the counter medications for pain in cats such as ibuprofen, aspirin, and certainly not tylenol as they can cause severe reactions in cats.

Moreover, my suspicion is the belly issue and the flies are completely unrelated, but your veterinarian can take a look at the belly as well during the general examination.

I hope this is helpful!

_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I took her to the vet and she actually had a puncture wound that was infected from a run in with a stray cat in the neighborhood. They treated the wound and gave her antibiotics. She's all set. Thanks for your help!
I am so glad that was found and she is getting the excellent treatment!!!