Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Compassionate licensed veterinarian with >20 years experience with cats, dogs and pocket pets
6877700

hi my cats front legs and one back leg is swollen, just wondering

hi my cat's front legs and one back leg is swollen, just wondering what the cause could be????
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 5 years ago.
Hi, this is Dr. Marie here...

How old is your cat?
How long has he or she had this problem?
How is your cat's appetite?
Does your cat go outside?
Is he or she having any difficulty breathing?

Thanks,
Dr. Marie.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
she is 12 years old and just since this morning she has been like this, it came out of no where. she has a great appetite and always goes outside. she does seem to have difficulty breathing
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for that info. Sorry you had to retype some. I didn't have access to your additional info when I first typed it.

While I can't say for sure what is going on with your cat, I am quite concerned for her.

I'm concerned that she may have edema (a collection of fluid) in her legs. Unfortunately when we see this in a cat it usually means either serious heart disease or cancer.

If your girl is having some respiratory difficulty this could account for either of the above conditions as well.

When we see one leg that is swollen we usually think about infection or abscess, but this would be very unlikely in 3 legs.

While an allergic reaction sometimes causes swelling in the body it would be very unlikely to affect the legs. It usually causes facial swelling.

It does sound like a vet visit is necessary. If she is having an increase in respiratory effort then I would suggest an emergency visit tonight.

I hope this information helps! If you have more questions regarding this problem, just hit reply. If I am online I will respond right away. Otherwise I will respond as soon as I come online again. Or, if my answer is sufficient, then please hit accept. Thanks!
Dr. Marie.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Dr. Marie, Veterinarian
Experience: Compassionate licensed veterinarian with >20 years experience with cats, dogs and pocket pets