catDR
catDR, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine

renal failure..Two aggressive sarcomas removed from front leg..lumps

Ginger tom, 15, in early renal failure. Two aggressive sarcomas removed from front leg this year. Has had two lumps aspirated from his throat in the last two months. It's filling up again in two weeks. Vet puzzled, and has not seen this before. Concerned to operate because close to jugular vein and carotid artery. Tigger losing weight and being allowed to graze in an effort to maintain what weight we can. I have every faith in the vet, but would want to know why the haematomas. ( I was a registered nurse before retirement)
Category: Cat
Expert:  catDR replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for writing in,

Did your vet do a cytology on the fluid that was aspirated?

Are these causing your cat any respiratory difficulties or pain?

DId your vet check your cats thryoid level?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, she decided against cytology because she saw no cells. Thyroid level was checked out early on and level was normal
Expert:  catDR replied 5 years ago.
Ok thanks for that info,

It's possible that what we are dealing with here is a sialocele which is basically a salivary problem or a sac that fills with saliva. Being that it was acellular fluid this is a possibility. Cat with renal disease and hyperthyroidism go hand in hand and could be a reason why your cat is losing so much weight, aside from the renal disease and possible metastatic cancer from the sarcomas. If it hasn't been checked within the last year or if it was in the high end of normal within the last six months I would suggest having this repeated. If these lumps continue to be a concern I would suggest a referral to a veterinary surgeon who has more experience with the anatomy and surgery in this area then your regular vet and can best direct you whether surgery is your best option or just periodic draining of the sacs.
Also, given your cats age and past medical history I would also suggest doing some chest and abdominal xrays just to ensure there isn't obvious metastasis which may make treatment options more justifyable. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the info you have given so far. Just one more question? Would the sac contain frank blood frpm the salivary gland/
Expert:  catDR replied 5 years ago.
Typically not but if a superficial vessel is affected then it could. Did she spin the fluid down to ensure there were no cells? Xrays would definitely be a good idea in this girl as well, possibly sedated and of the affected area.
catDR, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine