Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Compassionate licensed veterinarian with >20 years experience with cats, dogs and pocket pets

I found my beloved 5 year old cat dead today. I adopted him

I found my beloved 5 year old cat dead today. I adopted him 7 months ago and at the time took him for a vet exam and he was found to be healthy, except for being 18 pounds. Up until today he never seemed to be ill, he was very friendly and had a very healthy coat. When I found him this afternoon he at first appeared to be sleeping but his eyes and mouth were open and he had drooled considerably. When I took him to the vet I was told he had been dead for too long to do a necropsy, possibly 12 hours. I really would have wanted to find out what happened to him, and would appreciate any information.

Hi, this is Dr. Marie here...

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat.

By far the most common reason for a young cat to die suddenly is a condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. This is a condition that a cat can be born with where the walls of the heart are too thick. Often these cats will have absolutely no symptoms. This condition is not possible to diagnose unless an ultrasound was done on the chest.

Cats with this condition will live happy lives and then suddenly one day the heart can fail.

The good news is that most cats will die very quickly with no pain.

I am so sorry for your loss.

I hope this information helps! If you have more questions regarding this problem, just hit reply. If I am online I will respond right away. Otherwise I will respond as soon as I come online again. Or, if my answer is sufficient, then please hit accept. Thanks!
Dr. Marie.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.