Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

my cat is 9 years old and she suddenly got afraid of me, hiding

Customer Question

my cat is 9 years old and she suddenly got afraid of me, hiding under the bed etc. when she left to go drink she ran away from me. She is starring at me and is liking her lips every 30 sec. She is a very very loving cat usually. We moved about 3 weeks ago in a house so she is now going outside and she loves it. Her weird behavior started yesterday when i came back at the end of the day. I had left her with the cleaning lady. i dont know what to do? i never saw her acting so strangely
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Hi there,

Have you been wearing any new perfume, cosmetics or around any other animals lately?

Is your cat eating and eliminating normally?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
well i havent been wearing my usual perfum but rather an old one i still have left. i havent been around other animals lately. she has not eaten since yesterday noon and i havent notice if she has been eliminating since.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
one thing i havent mention is that she is sleeping more than usual lately
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Dear friend,

I do not think your girl is feeling very well.

Hiding, not eating and fear are symptoms of illness. I don't think she is afraid of you personally. It sounds more like her pain or illness is frightening her.

She may have an abscessed tooth, infection or a disorder.

Offer her tuna water or milk for hydration.

Feel all over her boody and check in her mouth for any abnormalities.

Cats are attracted to smelly foods - the stronger the better. If she wants tuna, give it to her You can also try fancy feast, clam juice or baby food.

human baby food in meat flavours (check that there are no onions or garlic in the ingredients) and mix that with warm water and offer that, or syringe it in little bits into your cat's mouth. Beech Nut makes a line of baby food that has nothing but meat (beef, chicken, turkey or veal) in it. Here's a link: If you cannot find this, you could find another meat baby food - just read the label carefully to be sure there are no onions, onion powder, garlic, or garlic powder in it.

If her tummy needs a rest, feed baby food with no onion or garlic for a few days.

If she wont eat, and your cat is not diabetic begin by giving her two droppers (cc size) of unflavored pedialyte every ten minutes for an hour. Next water down(plain water) canned cat food or baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic and give only one dropper every ten minutes for another hour. Wait two hours and repeat both. When she feels hydrated she will lick up the gruel on her own.

Give her droppers of unflavored pedialyte a few times a day to make sure she stays hydrated.

If she throws it up have her seen tomorrow or in the ER today:

She should also be checked for:

Please let me know how she is doing. I will always be here for you.

I hope she feels better very soon.

Sincerest best wishes,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
and how can i make her eat? she literally runs away from me. i left the house for 45 min and she didnt eat
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Put tasty food like tuna or canned food under the bed with her.

If she refuses to eaat she needs to be seen by a vet because refusing food means she is ill.

Please let me know what happens, ok?