Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Compassionate licensed veterinarian with >20 years experience with cats, dogs and pocket pets

Why do male cats spray inside their own homes

Kittycato is our first cat that we brought into our home.Then hayley kitten then bella sufpire.Hayley and bella are both girls,but did it when we just had hayley.Kittycato and hayley have both been desexed but bella is to young.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 7 years ago.
Hi there and thanks for your question.

The first thing we need to figure out is whether your guy is doing this because of a medical or a behavioural problem. Some cats can have an infection, or crystals in their urine or interstitial cystitis all of which can cause some irritation in the bladder and make them want to urinate in inappropriate places. It is not always immediately obvious. I have had a few cats that were about to be euthanized for this bad behaviour until we found out that they had urinary tract disease.

You will need to have your vet examine your guy and do some urine tests and they will be able to tell you if there is a problem. It is good to do this soon, because if there is a problem and we wait too long then he will get a urinary tract blockage and this is very serious.

However, if the tests come back as normal then this is a behavioural issue. Some cats will urinate in inappropriate places because of stress, but often it is hard to find the source of stress. The first thing I would do is if possible, restrict his access to the areas he is doing this.

I would also advise getting a new litter box as sometimes odours can collect in a box we have used for years. If you have more than one cat then you should have a litter box for each cat, plus one extra. Do your best to clean these every day. If you have a covered litter box, get rid of the cover as many cats hate the odours that are in these boxes.

If all of this is done and he is still doing it then you can talk to your vet about medicine to help reduce his stress level such as amitryptilline.

You may also want to look into a product called Feliway. This comes in either a spray or a plug in diffuser. It diffuses a feline pheromone which has been proven to help reduce stress levels. However, it is a little pricey.
Here is some additional information - be sure to check out the links on the right hand side of the page too:

I hope this information helps! If you have more questions regarding this problem, just hit reply. If I am online I will respond right away. Otherwise I will respond as soon as I come online again. Or, if my answer is sufficient, then please hit accept. Thanks!
Dr. Marie.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.