Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

adult male cat (fred). wheezing and throwing up food and clear

Customer Question

adult male cat (fred). wheezing and throwing up food and clear mucus. he has lost some weight, but he was about 14 pounds before this, so could stand to lose a few pounds. he is 7 and an indoor cat. what could be wrong with him?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 5 years ago.

Hi there,

What does Fred eat?

How much weight has he lost in how long?

How long is he throwing up and wheezing?

Is he urinating fine?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

he eats the purina indoor formula cat food.

i'd say he's lost about 3 pounds in about the last 2 weeks. i thought it was the flea/tick collar, so i took it off him. he seemed better for about a day then it started again.

he does it after he eats. it comes back up un chewed and in a clear spit mucas stuff.

we have 3 other cats in the house, so it's hard to tell about the urination.

the wheezing is ongoing and seems to have gotten worse, but then sometimes it stops altogether and he's fine. it's weird.

Expert:  Terri replied 5 years ago.

Dear friend,

I am soory Fred is having trouble.

If he eats mostly dry food that may b e the culprit.

PLEASE READ:

http://www.catinfo.org/

Lack of fluid in the bowel also leads to vomiting, Ingested hair can also be a factor.Anorexia for any extended time leads to liver damage and causes nausea and vomiting as well.

I would add some canned or baby food for him

Serve the two foods separately - do not mix them - add a half pepsid a/c tablet, crushed up into the wet food one time a day.

Cats are attracted to smelly foods - the stronger the better. If he wants tuna, give it to him.You can also try fancy feast, clam juice or baby food.

human baby food in meat flavours (check that there are no onions or garlic in the ingredients) and mix that with warm water and offer that, or syringe it in little bits into your cat's mouth. Beech Nut makes a line of baby food that has nothing but meat (beef, chicken, turkey or veal) in it. Here's a link: http://www.beechnut.com/Our%20Baby%20Food/Results.asp If you cannot find this, you could find another meat baby food - just read the label carefully to be sure there are no onions, onion powder, garlic, or garlic powder in it.

.

If his tummy needs a rest, feed baby food with no onion or garlic for a few days.

If he wont eat, and your cat is not diabetic begin by giving him two droppers (cc size) of unflavored pedialyte every ten minutes for an hour. Next water down(plain water) canned cat food or baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic and give only one dropper every ten minutes for another hour. Wait two hours and repeat both. When he feels hydrated he will lick up the gruel on his own.

Give him droppers of unflavored pedialyte a few times a day to make sure he stays hydrated.Please let me know how he is doing. I will always be here for you.

I hope he feels better very soon.

Sincerest best wishes,

Terri

Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience: Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i gave him a bit of wet food,(my mom sent it over from next door while i was waiting on a answer) and he ate it. but within 10 minutes, he threw that up too. i'll try the dropper to keep him hydrated. and the meat baby food. i'll let you know how it goes, thanks for the info.
Expert:  Terri replied 5 years ago.

Hi there,

Use the pepsid as well.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks for your accept.

I hope your boy will be ok.

Best wishes for him,

Terri

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what should i do for his wheezing and breathing trouble? i read on another post you said a 1/4 of a chlortrimaton tablet, will that work? thanks for the help!
Expert:  Terri replied 5 years ago.

Chlor-trimeton is a safe antihistamine sold OTC in drug stores. Yes, you can give him a quarter of a 4 mg tablet every 12 hours for wheezing.

I hope Fred feels better very soon.

Sending as an info requst so you are not charged again.

Huggs for him,

Terri

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

he's better. we think he had a bad reaction to the hartz flea and tick collar. once it was off, he went throught some bad days... the wheezing and gasping for breath, but now he's almost back to his old self. took all the cats collars off and gave them the flea only neck drops i got from petsmart, haven't given them to fred yet, not til he recovers fully . sequoyah had neck sores from the collar! we will never be using them again. mom talked to a lady at walmart in the pet aisle who had a cat die from using the collar. why are they on the market if they do this? weird. anyway, thanks for the help. wanted to let you know he is fine.

Expert:  Terri replied 5 years ago.

OMG those flea colars are a hazard and useless as well. Never use them or any Hartz products.

Phone or email Hartz and tell them you want financial compensation for your trouble and they will send you a check.

I hope Fred will be fine now.

Huggs and love for him,

Terri