Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

Cat is very lethargic. Drink and eating a little but mostly

Cat is very lethargic. Drink and eating a little but mostly laying down. Normally would be scratching to get outdoors. Can't feel a full bladder.
Submitted: 7 years ago via PetPlace.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Hi there,

How long is he like this?

When did he urinate last?

What is he eating?

Are his gums pale?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Started Saturday afternoon. Normally wants to be outdoors, but he has spent the time indoors, mostly sleeping. Doesn't seem to have the energy he normally expends to let me know he wants to be outdoors (like climbing in window blinds, scratching at door).

Four cats in house, so don't know when he urinated last. But, can't feel any lump.

Ate a little of his regular dry food this morning, and drank water.
Gums a little pale.

Wamts more food right now, but I didn't give.

He's the most aggressive cat out of the four cats, but very meek and mild today.
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Dear friend,

I am sorry your boy is not feeling well.

By all means give him food if he wants to eat. Offer him milk or tuna water for hydration.

Put a drop of pancake syrup in his mouth the raise his blood sugar in case he is hypoglycemic.

Feel all over his body and look in his mouth for any abnormalities.

Do not let him out even if he wants to go. You must monitor his urination and have him to a vet if he is not passing urine

I do not want to alarm you but I am very concerned about your boy.These are very serious and can even be life threatening symptoms.

You should make a trip to the vet ASAP. - If you think he has a urinary tract infection and is in danger of becoming blocked.

UTI's are serious in males because they are caused by sticky crystals in the bladder.At any time they can block the urethra.

If he becomes unable to urinate that is a MEDICAL EMERGENCY . His bladder could burst and he would have to be catheterized to save his life.

If that is the case, you must take him to the vet right away may finance his visit if money is an issue.

He may have a UTI that can be treated economically.

UTI's must be treated with an effective broad spectrum antibiotic like Clavamox or clidimycin and for a long enough duration so all bacteria is eradicated. If not, they will refluorish, stronger and more resistant and reinfect him. In addition, the bacteria can become tolerant of the same antibiotic so the medication should be varied for best results.

You can give him a few drops of unsweetened cranberry juice or 100 mg of vitamin C - That will reduce the PH of his urine but it is only to make him feel better.He still needs to see a vet for an antibiotic if he has a UTI.

Please let me know how he is doing .I will be here till late tonight to help further.

I hope he feels better very soon.

Very sincerely,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok - gave him his food and he's eating. He's a little more perky.

I'll keep the litter box close to where I can see it and away from the other cats so I can monitor his use and to see if he's straining.

I can't feel or see any abnormalities.

I'll watch and let you know later today.

Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

OK I will be here til 7:00 eastern so please let me know how he is doing.

It is my pleasure to help someone as lovely as you and your sweet baby.

I will always be here for both of you.

Thank you for pressing accept.

Best wishes,