NancyH
NancyH, Cat Health, Behavior, Care Expert
Experience:  30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care
127115

can i give my cat oral penicillin for an infection in his

Customer Question

can i give my cat oral penicillin for an infection in his leg?
Category: Cat
Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

Is this a bite injury?

Or does it look like a hole with mucous in it and maybe something alive underneath?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It does not look like a bite injury...it looks more like he got hit by a car with a large spot having been completely rubbed off. This happened over a month ago and I treated it with peroxide and neosporin for a few days.....the swelling went down and it looked like it was going to heal. Two weeks later it opened up and started oozing again and I did the same tx. He limped again for two days then all seemed fine and healing. Now it just opened again, swelled a bit and I tx it the same way. This is a stray cat that I have adopted. He has had all appropriate shots. I really cannot afford to take it to the vet anymore. I have penicillan from my travels to Beijing and was thinking I could try this. It is oral tablet though. Each time it heals and looks like the hair is going to start growing back.....then it swells and opens up again and oozes and bleeds. The cat is acting normal and does not seem to be in a lot of pain. There is no deep hole per se. What should I do??
Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

I would suggest that this may be due to an infection under the skin causing an abscess that heals over on the top and breaks out again when the infection gets large enough.

The problem with penicillin its many organisms are not impacted by it anymore as its been around so long.

This site lists a penicillin dose for cats as you scroll down

http://www.diamondpaws.com/health/drugs.htm

as does this one

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/penicillin-g/page1.aspx

For home care you can use a warm/hot damp compress on the area to help it stay open and drain of infection. This will also stimulate blood circulation to help fight infection.
Make sure to trim the fur back away from the wound area to help keep bacteria out of the injured area.
You can clean the cuts out with Betadine iodine solution, chlorhexiderm solution, sterile saline, or 3% hydrogen peroxide.
Then apply Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic ointment to the wound or any scabbed over areas. Keep the cat from licking the ointment off. It won't hurt the cat if it gets licked but it does better on the wound than on the tongue. A bit of hairball remedy on the roof of the mouth can keep the tongue busy while ointment soaks in.
I'd do this 2-4 times a day and if you see no improvement or the infection seems to spread you really should consider seeing a vet if you are going to keep the cat.

Its always a good idea to consult your vet before trying any home care.
Hope this helps you!