Micki, Expert in cat behavior and health
Experience:  Expert in cat medical and behavior issues.

Out of the blue my cat started peeing on my kitchen floor.

Out of the blue my cat started peeing on my kitchen floor. He has never done anything like this in 10 years...occassionally he would pee in the bathtub, but not all that often and always down the drain. Now's he's regularing peeing on the floor in the kitchen, to the point that I had to pull up some of the tile b/c it was seeping below...this is on and off-frequency being from 1-2 times a week to every night. Now, he has a hot nose and is sneezing constantly-and multiple times in one attack. I'm taking him to the vet this week, but wondering if anyone is familiar with either situation and has advice.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Micki replied 7 years ago.

Does he go outside?

Any blood in the urine?

Is he drinking a lot of water and peeing a lot?

Does he poop in his litter box ok?

Any changes in appetite?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

1) no, he doesn't go outside and is never around other animals.

2) no blood in the urine

3) yes, he's drinking a lot of water

4) yes, he's pooping in his litter box

4) he seems to be eating-I've been trying to pay attention to this and from what i can tell, he's eating.

Expert:  Micki replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for the extra information.

he does need a vet exam. I think the two problems of peeing outside the litter box and the sneezing are separate issues. Peeing outside the litter box and drinking a lot of water can be symptoms of diabetes, thyroid problems, or kidney disease. It is possible though he may just have a UTI.

The sneezing can be from many things. Anything from a URI, allergies, dental issues, nasal polyps, etc. You can try to give him a 1/4 tablet of Chlor-Trimeton twice daily to help the sneezing. This is a safe to use OTC antihistamine. If it is allergy or URI it will help.

As for the peeing, that really needs to be diagnosed by your vet for proper treatment. Adding a litter box in the house can help and cleaning the areas he has peed on with an enzyme oder eliminating cleaner like Natures Miracle. But do get him a check up to rule out any serious issues.

Sincerely, Micki

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thx much for your help...I have been using Nature's Miracle Urine Destroyer and it is not doing the trick...I think he is smarter than I give him credit for and knows that it makes me mad, so it gets him attention, which he CRAVES. He's like a child. All of this behavior got worse when my other cat passed away and he's gotten increasingly more needy as the years have gone on...he wakes me up every night anywhere from 12-2 and every morning from 6am-7am...not great for my sleeping, but he won't stop so I have no choice but to get up. But I will talk to my vet about all of this. Thank you again for your help.