Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My cat is walking slowly and she meows when I touch her back

My cat is walking slowly and she meows when I touch her back leg on her left hand side. She is eating but when I try and get her up she doesn't want to move anywhere. She can walk but slower although she is stalking something but I know that she is in pain because she meows.
Hi Diane, and thanks for your question.

While older cats are more prone to develop certain conditions that can cause pain and weakness in the hind legs, it's also possible that she sprained, strained, or otherwise injured either her hip or leg, when jumping down from a height, recently.

Because she's exhibiting this pain reaction, and is reluctant to walk, she needs to be evaluated by the vet, ASAP, and an x-ray may be needed to see if she has a hairline fracture of this rear left leg. Blood work will also be necessary to check her numbers, as older cats are more likely to get diabetes, which can affect nerve function in the hind legs (diabetic neuropathy), and also a cardiac condition called cardiomyopathy can cause a blood clot to form, blocking circulation to the hind legs.

Try bringing her to the nearest ER vet center, now, if you have one in your city. If not, look in your Yellow Pages, under veterinarians, for any listings including 'emergency hours'. The sooner you have her examined in person, the sooner you'll receive a diagnosis and she'll be treated to help her feel more comfortable.

I hope all will be well with your kitty.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

She has just come into the living room and jumped on the chair and she didn't cry when she jumped up in fact I didn't know that she had come in, could I leave taking her to the vet for a few days to see if she is in any more pain or whether she starts walking better. She is asleep at the moment so she doesn't seem to be in pain does she

Hi again, Diane, and thanks for your reply.

I'm so happy to hear that she was able to jump on the chair and didn't seem to be in pain!

Yes you can wait and see how she does, as long as she doesn't seem to be in any pain and is eating, drinking, eliminating and acting as usual.

I just read your feedback and was completely surprised that your cat was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection, as your detailed description of her symptoms indicated pain in her left, back leg. You made no mention of any URI symptoms, like sneezing, coughing, eye discharge, lack of appetite, etc.; a cat with a 'cold' would not exhibit the symptoms you described, with pain in her back leg. That would be from an injury or underlying medical condition, as I referred to, in my answer.

The most important thing is that you had her evaluated in person by the vet, and received a definite diagnosis, and I'm assuming, treatment. What did the vet have to say about her rear left leg pain?

I hope she's feeling much better, by now.