Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Is cephalexin ever used to treat upper respiratory infections

Customer Question

Is cephalexin ever used to treat upper respiratory infections in cats? I have 2 cats with yellow/green foul smelling nose discharge and have used batril in the past.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the question Tb Willow,

In direct answer to your question : Yes cephalexin has been used in the past to treat upper respiratory tract infections in cats.

It does sound as if your cats have a touch of cat flu. Here is a link to a very good resource which covers the use of cephalexin in cats in depth including dose rates and contraindications : LINK

If my answer is helpful to you please click Accept as this the only way I am paid for my work. If on the other hand I have not fully answered your question or you would like ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS