Reani, Cat Care Expert
Experience:  20+ years experience with Cat Care and behavior problems, 3 years Pet Rescue

How can i stop my cat from howling all night long

Category: Cat
Expert:  Reani replied 7 years ago.
Hello There,

How old is your cat?
Male or female?
How long ha this been going on?
Standing by to help...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my cat is 15 years old, it's a male
it's been going on for 8 months to a year.
Expert:  Reani replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the info!

I think your boy may be losing his hearing. When cats age they can begin to lose their hearing (or he may have an ear infection impairing his hearing, particularly if he goes outdoors) and will walk around meowing to keep their bearings. Cats cannot understand they are losing their hearing, so if their world sounds different, they will meow to make it more familiar. This is a comfort to them. You can ease this by leaving a radio on for him, talk to him when you are awake and about, so that he is reassured that he is "still with it". I would also consider keeping your boy indoors more often if you don’t already as if he is losing his hearing, he may not hear predators, cars, or other dangers out there like he used to. I would first have him checked for an ear infection, then try things like snapping your fingers next to him, calling his name when he is not looking, to see if he reacts.

Another cause could be a thyroid problem which is usually very treatable. One of the symptoms can be howling. Other signs include weight loss, greasy appearance and increased appetite.

I hope this helps you...please let me know how it goes!

Warmest Wishes,