Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

can i give my cat advil for pain

Customer Question

can i give my cat advil for pain
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

I am very glad you have asked this question rather than just going ahead and dosing your cat ....

Common over the counter human pain killers such as Advil { Ibuprofen } are potentially very toxic to cats and well meaning people have caused severe problems in the past by dosing their cats with Advil. In fact all the over the counter human pain killers including aspirin can cause problems and they should never be given on a home treatment basis. The cat's metabolism just cannot handle these drugs in the same way as humans can.

This does very much restrict you in what you can give a cat with pain, I have to say that your vet will be able to prescribe a suitable prescription drug which will be very much safer and more effective.

Here is a link to ibuprofen toxicity in cats : LINK

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS