Reani
Reani, Cat Care Expert
Experience:  20+ years experience with Cat Care and behavior problems, 3 years Pet Rescue
3350763

can I use over the counter allergy eye drops (visine ac) in

can I use over the counter allergy eye drops (visine ac) in my cats eyes?
Good Evening,

What symptoms is your kitty showing?
For how long has he or she been like this?
Can you tell me if your cat is male or female, and if he or she goes outdoors?

Standing by to help...
Reani
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

eyes that water for 2 days now, she is a female and is usually kept in the house except for the occasional back yard outing

Great,
Thanks for the info.
I would not use a human eye drop for her. She may have a touch of an eye infection, in which case you can get a cream called terramycin. It is available without a prescription online, in some pet stores (call first to see) or your vet may carry it.

I hope that helps!

Let me know how it goes!

Warmest Wishes,
Reani
Reani, Cat Care Expert
Experience: 20+ years experience with Cat Care and behavior problems, 3 years Pet Rescue
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how about using Zaditor (just recently available without prescription) if there is not an infection?
I doubt it...but I will opt out and see if a vet onsite here may have heard of any testing that would show it is safe for use in cats....

Stand by ok?

Reani
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok
Hi there,

I am one of the vets on the site, and just wanted to drop by to talk about this medication.

Zaditor is ketotifen fumarate 0.25% - it is a topical anti-histaminic product.

I know of vets who have used this to treat allergic eye problems in dogs, and have found that using it reduces the amount of other medications needed to resolve the dog's eye problem.

I have not personally used Zaditor in cats, but know of no contraindication to its use. I do not feel this medication is harmful, so there is nothing wrong with trying. It is certainly preferable to the Visine AC which I would recommend against!

Hope that helps!

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will try to provide it!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Fiona