ERAnimalNurse
ERAnimalNurse, Emergency Critical Care Nurse
Experience:  16+ years of veterinary experience
7788723

my cat has loose green stool what can cause it

Customer Question

Category: Cat
Expert:  ERAnimalNurse replied 7 years ago.

I am sorry your kitty is having trouble.

How long has she had the diarrhea?

Does she go outside?

Is she spayed?

Is she vomiting?

has she lost weight?

Did she get any people food before she started to have the diarrrhea?

Let me know and I will try to help.......

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no, she doesn't get people food, no vomiting no weight lossc at all, just the diarrhea and it isn't constant still prob only once a day, she is spayed and she is an outside cat but because of curfew she is kept in at night
thank you for the additional information. Because your kitty spends her time outside, she may have some intestinal parasites that are causing the diarrhea. However, it is just as likely that she has an illness that is causing diarrhea as well. I know that you have not seen any vomiting or other symptoms, but since your kitty spends only night inside, you could be missing alot. Cats are considered to be geriatric at 8 years old, and can be prone to illness the older they get. Even though your kitty is just 8, she can still be experiencing an illness. The 3 most common ailments known to afflict elderly cats are diabetes, kidney disease and hyperthyroidism. The symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, increased water consumption, increased urination, dehydration, weakness, weight loss, muscle wasting, poor hair coat, changes in appetite, changes in behavior and increased vocalizations. In order to figure out what is going on, you will need to have her seen by her vet for an exam, fecal, blood and urine tests. You should take her in sooner rather than later, because cats instinctively hide illness, and can be very sick by the time they are showing obvious symptoms. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. If this has been helpful, please hit the green accept button. Good luck with your kitty.