Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My 10 day old kitten has a yellow pussy dischrage at the eye.

Customer Question

My 10 day old kitten has a yellow pussy dischrage at the eye. I have been washing the eye with water...but it continues to come back. It's only had it's eyes open for a few days, so I'm curious as to what cuased the infection. I change the towel in their box daily and I wipe mommy's belly with a warm damp rag every once in a while to keep the bacteria to a minimum. What else can I do? I've called the vet and they said that it's normal?! But I can tell the poor thing is in pain. Please, any suggestions would be great!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Dear friend,

It can be normal for baby kittens to have some pus in their eyes.

Apply damp teabags to reduce the PH of his tears.

Get a saline from the drug store used for conntact lens wearers and rinse the eyes.

If it continues get terramycin eye ointment from a drg or pet store or order from www.revivalanimal.com

I hope your baby kitten is better very soon.

Hugs for him,

Terri

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

How damp are we talking? Is it going to hurt them if tea gets in their eyes? How long should I try just washing the eye with saline solution and applying tea bags?? I did it once and they were back to being glued shut by the next morning. Would it hurt to do the tea bags, saline solution, AND the terramycin? It's spread to more than one kitten now. I'm concerned. Please give more specifics. Thanks.

Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Hi there,

The teabag should be just daamp,not drippy. It will not hurt to get tea in the eye. It just reduces the PH (acidity) of the tears. You can do the saline as well.

It sounds like you have upper respiratory infection or cat flu going in. Of coursse they are way too young for antibiotics.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/faculties/vet/cad/informationforowners/catflu/

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/feline_upper_respiratory.html

You MUST keep them eating and hydrated until they are old enough to be medicated.

Please keep me posted on their condition.

Best wishes for them,

Terri