Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.

what is the safe dose for sedating a feline with lorazepam

what is the safe dose for sedating a feline with lorazepam for grooming purposes.

Can you give me a little more information? How big is your cat? Was the lorazepam prescribed for him? What size lorazepam do you have?

Dr. Scarlett

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
A friend told me they had their cat sedated while the vet groomed him. But the vet charges 85.00 for this service. I cannot afford this and I already have the Lorazepam in tablet form and I am an ex paramedic so I am familiar with preparing drugs. But don't know dosing.

I would try giving your cat 1/4 of your 0.5 mg pill and see how he does on that. If not sedate enough, you could give another 1/4.

I disagree with your vet about the rabies vaccine--you never know when a bat or rabid animal could slip in. Not to mention that, at least around here, it is a law that requires it. But no matter, you didn't ask my opinion about that!

Good luck!

Dr. Scarlett

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you very much. i will try that. i appreciate your help. Nancy