Doctor Douglas
Doctor Douglas, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine SGU, B.Sc. Animal Science Purdue University

I just put Profender on my cat, almost 2 hours ago. How long

I just put Profender on my cat, almost 2 hours ago. How long does it take for the worms to pass through the system and be defecated? Will the worms be passed or is this a preventative treatment. I have given her a pill dewormer, for tape worms, before and the worms were defecated very shortly after. My girl has lost a lot of weight, 3 pounds in 6 months, so my vet wants to cover all the bases with causes. Her thyroid was at 3.8 2 months ago. She hasn't had any signs of tapeworms, small worms around anus.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Doctor Douglas replied 7 years ago.

I have some questions for you:

1. Has a fecal been checked for parasites?
  2. How long has she been losing weight?
  3. Did she have any other bloodwork done?

Awaiting your reply.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

1. Fecal has not been checked for parasites.

2. 3 pound decrease over a 6 month period. Asymptomatic otherwise. Switched her diet to grain-free Nature's Variety diet over a year ago.

10-07 13.5# XXXXX the new diet shortly after this.

10-08 12.5#

02-09 10.8#

04-09 9.8#

3. Calcium came back at 12.3 in February, a little over the high normal. Thyroid was 3.8. X-rays were done today looked for tumors d/t elevated calcium level. No tumors seen in the abdomen or chest. A more complete thyroid panel was sent to Michigan State U. Should get results back in 2 wks.

Thanks for the quick reply.

The elevated calcium is concerning, as you know.

As for your original question regarding Profender. Profender is comprised of two dewormers; praziquantel and emodepside. This drug is indicated for hookworms, roundworms and tapeworms. Keep in mind that it may take up to 24 hours for the topical drug to absorb systemically. The praziquantel reaches peak serum levels within two hours so any tapeworms that she may have should be killed at that point. In short, internal parasites should be killed within 36 hours, and eliminated in the feces within 48-72 hours.

Let me know how the thyroid panel turns out.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the info on how the medicine works and when the parasites will be excreted! All the websites I have been going to including Bayer have been unable to answer my question.

Have any ideas on the weight loss? Could worms cause so much of a weight loss with her being asymptomatic otherwise?

Internal parasites can definitely cause weight loss to that degree.

I am concerned about the high calcium, though. Did your vet check the ionized calcium?

Reasons for high calcium include hypercalcemia of malignancy (underlying cancer), kidney failure, hypoadrenocorticism (rare in cats), primary hyperparathyroidism, or lab error (was she fasted prior to the blood draw?).

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The vet did a regular blood panel and it was not fasting. The ionized calcium wasn't checked.

For the blood draw that was done today it was fasting for the thyroid level. Again, that will take up to 2 wks to get results back. My vet did take some extra blood and spun off the serum and saved it in case the thyroid comes back normal and more tests need to be done.

If it is hyperparathyroidism can that be treated with I-131 like hyperthyroidism?

If it's hyperparathyroidism the treatment depends on the underlying cause.

Causes of hyperparathyroidism include:

• Kidney failure
  • A tumor in the parathyroid gland (rare in cats) - a serum PTH level can be checked. Treatment involves surgical removal.

The most common cause of hypercalcemia in cats is kidney failure and idiopathic (unable to determine underlying cause).

Hopefully the weight loss is due to gastrointestinal parasites. Although hypercalcemia was identified on the bloodwork, it may not be significant. I recommend having a fasted sample checked and an ionized calcium level to make sure the hypercalcemia is significant.

Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the help love!

I will let you know how the test results come back. I hope it is parasites so I can stop holding my breath and worrying waiting for an answer.

I just want my baby to be healthy!