Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

my cats stomach is very bloated and he lays around and sleeps

Customer Question

my cat's stomach is very bloated and he lays around and sleeps all day and nite. He is eating some and drinking water. He is an indoor during the day and outdoors at nite cat. I haven't been able to tell if he has had a bowel movement. I feel like he may be backed up. What can I give him. He seems to be so miserable. Thanks Jo Nell
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Hi Jo nell and happy Easter,

How old is your boy?

Is he able to urinate?

What food is he eating?

How long is his stomach bloated?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Good Easter Morning to you too.

He is 4 yrs. old, yes he has been urinating, dry food 9 lives and a little tuna. His stomach seemed to bloat overnite, he looks like he is pregnant, it started Friday. Thanks

Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Dear Jo Nell,

I am sorry your boy is not feeling well and on a holiday no less.

I am concerned about the bloat since he goes outdoors.

The only things that could cause this are

1 poisoning

2 urinary blockage

3 eating non food and being impacted

4 injury

5 ear issue causing a vesibular disorder

6 hypoglycemia

7 viral illness like FIP.

8 worms

The best natural laxative is milk. It should bring on a BM in two hours or less. Older cats are often calcium deficient leading to hard dry stools.

Give him one to three ounces right away.

Most constipation is due to inadequate fluid in the bowel so your baby should eat food with a bit of water added to prevent this in the future.

If he is not diabetic, he can have droppers of unflavored pediayte to hydrate him and balance his electrolytes.

Yes, you can also put vaseline on his paws for him to lick off

The average is one to two bowel movements a day. However, a cat can manage as long as they have a good defecation every other day. Any longer than that and the stool can become toxic in his system.

Most constipation is caused by inadequate fluid and fiber in the colon. A high fiber diet should help as long as she eats it.Never feed Science diet as it not a great food - vets push it because they sell it but there are much better ones.

A natural remedy is canned pumpkin (not pie filling) a teaspoon a day added to her food. Some people also give an ounce of milk daily as most older cats are calcium deficient.There are also several vet scipted drugs like lactulose and cipracide. The problem with laxatives and enemas are the same with humans. These artificial stimulants interfere with the normal peristaltic waves of the intestine and repeated use can cause further constipation, obstipation and even megacolon.

Please refer to the following links and info:

"The causes of constipation and obstipation are many, including diet (ingested hair, foreign bodies, bones); environment (a dirty litter box, lack of exercise, hospitalization); painful defecation (anal abscesses from cat-fight bites or feces- matted hair [long-haired cats are particularly susceptible]); obstructions (tumors and improperly healed pelvic fractures that restrict movement through the intestines); and medications (for other conditions). And watch your cat's weight. Obese cats can become constipated.

Chronic constipation and obstipation from specific causes can result in a distended colon that has poor movement (megacolon). Sometimes, though, megacolon occurs when the muscular movement of the colon wall, which propels fecal material through the colon, diminishes for some unknown reason. As a result, fecal matter comes remains in the colon where it becomes drier and harder. Over time, the enlarged, impacted colon loses most of its muscular ability (motility) and becomes a loose pouch filled with dry, concrete like material. Unfortunately, veterinary science has yet to discover the causes of this condition known as idiopathic megacolon."

Here is the rest of the article:SOURCE:

Here are others I think will be helpful:

He should see a vet if he does not go two hours after the milk or continues to be in pain

Please let me know how he is doing. I will always be here for both of you.

I hope he feels better very soon.

Sincerest best wishes,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Terri, I just wanted to say thank you for your help, but my Oreo died at 4 this morning. I really think he must have gotten a bone or something stuck. He loved to hunt on our ranch and would bring me half eaten birds and mice all the time. He will be greatly missed. I have two other cats that live the same way and I am going to start doing the things that you suggest. Thanks again. Jo Nell
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Oh I m so sorry to hear such sad news about Oreo.

My sincerest heartfelt sympathy for your loss.