Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

If and sick cat won;t eat but will drink water, can you supplement

Customer Question

If and sick cat won;t eat but will drink water, can you supplement Pediasure Enteral formula to a cat with a little water for nutrition til you can see a vet?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Hi there,

How old is your cat?

Whats wrong with him?

What and when did he eat last?

Is he able to urinate?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

7 years old, he ate 3 days ago, and then slowly stopped eating it seemed, he usually cleans a single bowl of dry in 2 days gradually. No sure whats wrong need to go to vet today if my son can get him there. He seems to urintate but he accidentally peed himself after he tried in the litter box lastnight. Wondered if the Pediasure will harm him I use it for my 3 yr old son who has disabilities. There is no milk sugars in it, I do know that.

Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Dear friend,

I am sorry your cat is ill. The pediasure won't hurt him but could give him diarrhea. He may have a urinary tract infection so he should be seen today.

PS: Do not give him any more aspirin!!

UTI's are serious in males because they are caused by sticky crystals in the bladder.At any time they can block the urethra.Since this is going on a while your boy is in great danger.Cats are very stoic animals so he may not cry out.

If he becomes unable to urinate that is a MEDICAL EMERGENCY . His bladder could burst and he would have to be catheterized to save his life.

UTI's must be treated with an effective broad spectrum antibiotic like Clavamox or clidimycin and for a long enough duration so all bacteria is eradicated. If not, they will refluorish, stronger and more resistant and reinfect him. In addition, the bacteria can become tolerant of the same antibiotic so the medication should be varied for best results.

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/cystitis.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/32507/feline_cystitis_symptoms_and_its_treatments.html

You can give him a few drops of unsweetened cranberry juice or 100 mg of vitamin C - That will reduce the PH of his urine but it is only to make him feel better.He still needs to see a vet for an antibiotic.

Cats are attracted to smelly foods - the stronger the better. If he wants tuna, give it to him.You can also try fancy feast, clam juice or baby food.

human baby food in meat flavours (check that there are no onions or garlic in the ingredients) and mix that with warm water and offer that, or syringe it in little bits into your cat's mouth. Beech Nut makes a line of baby food that has nothing but meat (beef, chicken, turkey or veal) in it. Here's a link: http://www.beechnut.com/Our%20Baby%20Food/Results.asp If you cannot find this, you could find another meat baby food - just read the label carefully to be sure there are no onions, onion powder, garlic, or garlic powder in it.

.

If his tummy needs a rest, feed baby food with no onion or garlic for a few days.

If he wont eat, and your cat is not diabetic begin by giving him two droppers (cc size) of unflavored pedialyte every ten minutes for an hour. Next water down(plain water) canned cat food or baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic and give only one dropper every ten minutes for another hour. Wait two hours and repeat both. When he feels hydrated he will lick up the gruel on his own.

Give him droppers of unflavored pedialyte a few times a day to make sure he stays hydrated.

If he throws it up have him seen immedately

Please let me know how he is doing. I will always be here for you.

I hope he feels better very soon.

Sincerest best wishes,

Terri

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX try these ideas, he seems to be urinating but seeing as he is slightly dehydrated I think his peeing is minimal but he is sore and has had strength to hop from the bathroom sink to the stall shower where we placed his litter box and back up but he just won;t eat the food or water he has, so I guess we will try the soft cat food thinned by dropper feeding and keep him hydrated the same way with just water, then see what a vet says. He's a stubborn bugger and has to be forced to take it but he does swallow it, so thats a good thing, he only vomited once yesterday but he's been ok other than that. Again Thank you.

Colleen Miller

Expert:  Terri replied 7 years ago.

Hi Coleen,

It is my pleasure to help someone as lovely as you and your sweet baby.

I will always be here for both of you.

Thank you for your accept.

PLEASE let me know how he is doing.

Best wishes,

Terri