Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

How to figure out if my cat had a miscarriage

I have a 2 year old long hair tabby that is small in stature. This appears to be her first pregnancy. I founf her in a nursery box set up for prospective kittens. She spent the night emitting low groans/growls. This morning she came from the nest and there was a little blood on her but no sign of a kitten living or dead. She appears to be pregnant still and she is not taking food just yet. Is she possibly going to have kittens later or is she just finished?

Hi there,

Does she have pale gums or seem in distress?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

They are pink but she seems a little lethargic. She doesn't look like she is in distress.

Dear friend,

As long as you do not see any symptoms of shockkor distress, lets give her a chance.However, search everywhere for a born kitten. It could be in a closet, under a bed, anywhere she could heve crept into.

Cats have two uterine horns so mommy can have kittens in each.The nursing by the baby should bring on further contractions so you want to encourage that. Also allow her to eat the afterbirth as that brings on contractions as well

It can actually take 30 hours or more for a cat to complete a four kitten(average) delivery. When she is done she will want to eat as they feel starved. She CAN have more up to 30 hours later.

A cats appetite is the best barometer of her health because if they are sick or in pain, they will not eat.

The baby happy and nursing indicates she is producing good milk.

I would not worry unless she appears upset,has pale gums, seems in pain, has an odorous discharge or another several hours goes by with obvious labor and no production of babies.

Sometimes cats can develop uterine infection, the symptoms are:

pain, fever, odorous discharge, in appetite and pale gums.

As long as you do not see any of those symptoms she is ok

Please let me know how everyone is doing .I will always be here for you.

Best of luck with your blessed event

Warmest wishes,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX cat just had a litter and if this tabby can't care for it I know the other mother will adobt any kittens as it has happened in the past. Thanks

I am keeping my fingers crossed so please let me know the outcome.

It is my pleasure to help someone as lovely as you and your sweet baby.

I will always be here for both of you.

Thank you for your accept.

Best wishes,