Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My 11 year old cat wont eat. She has been like this for quite

Customer Question

My 11 year old cat won't eat. She has been like this for quite a few days. She was fine last week, and then she began having trouble breathing. She has been very lethargic and weak. We took her to the vet who gave us an antibiotic and steroid for her. She has been on that for a little while now. I have to force feed her. She has no interest in eating, but I have managed to bottle feed her kitten milk and some soft cat food. I went to petco, and they suggested I give her this high-calorie diet paste to her, but she hates it. I still manage to force a little down her, though. What can I do to help her eat more?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 5 years ago.

Dear friend,

I am so sorry your girl wont eat. The high calorie paste is not very palatable.

Cats do not have whims like people. Anytime they refuse food, they are sick or in pain.

.

The first thing I would suspect is an abscessed tooth or root in her gum.

Cats are attracted to smelly foods - the stronger the better. If she wants tuna, give it to her You can also try fancy feast, clam juice or baby food.

human baby food in meat flavours (check that there are no onions or garlic in the ingredients) and mix that with warm water and offer that, or syringe it in little bits into your cat's mouth. Beech Nut makes a line of baby food that has nothing but meat (beef, chicken, turkey or veal) in it. Here's a link: http://www.beechnut.com/Our%20Baby%20Food/Results.asp If you cannot find this, you could find another meat baby food - just read the label carefully to be sure there are no onions, onion powder, garlic, or garlic powder in it.

.

If her tummy needs a rest, feed baby food with no onion or garlic for a few days.

If she wont eat, and your cat is not diabetic begin by giving her two droppers (cc size) of unflavored pedialyte every ten minutes for an hour. Next water down(plain water) canned cat food or baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic and give only one dropper every ten minutes for another hour. Wait two hours and repeat both. When she feels hydrated she will lick up the gruel on her own.

Give her droppers of unflavored pedialyte a few times a day to make sure she stays hydrated.

If she throws it up have her seen immediately!

Please let me know how she is doing. I will always be here for you.

I hope she feels better very soon.

Sincerest best wishes,

Terri

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much --

All I have at hand right now is cherry flavored pedialyte--would that be okay to give her a little bit until we can get unflavored pedialyte?

And would her breathing sickness also cause her to not eat? She is still a little panty. (but definitely not as wheezy as she was)

Strong smelling foods haven't worked very well in the past few days. I've tried gently warming them, giving her the smelliest tuna ever, etc... and she still avoids eating it. I manage to get a little bit of the tuna mixed with the high-calorie paste down her, but I want her to start eating on her own. Will the meaty baby foods encourage her to eat?

Thank you sooo much.

Tiffany
Expert:  Terri replied 5 years ago.

Hi Tiffany,

It is best to use unflovored pediallyte because the cherry may make her nauseated. Don't mix the hi calorie paste in with foods (Yuk)

She may not be able to smell food because she is congested.

Run a hot shower and take her in nthe stamy bathroom to help break it up. Do 5 to 8 minutes every 3 hours.

She should go back to the vet today for subQ fluids if she is not drinking. That is given under the skin and will help to increase her appetite by hydrating her . Ask about a B 12 shot too.

Please let me know how she is doing.

Best wishes for her,

Terri

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Terri,

Snowflakes is still sickly today. My mom bought her some unflavored pedialyte, and I've been giving her it a little by little in a bottle. When I give it to her, she seems to stress out and her breathing gets heavier and she pants slightly. It's harder for us to get her to a vet. I just turned 17, I cannot drive, my mom works until very late hours, and there is a money problem... My sister was visiting the first day we took her to the vet, and she helped me take Snowflakes there.

I'll give a little more information on what the doctor said.

The doctor had given us a lot of vague information about Snowflakes. They suspected phlem or fluid being in her lungs. They took an x-ray of her, and they said they saw something around her heart which they sort of suspected to be inflamation. They gave us an option for an ultrasound, but it was very very costly. Then, they tested her for leukemia and she came out negative.

Other than that, I noticed that she /is/ peeing. She also had hardened mucus in her nostrils which we had to remove, and now it looks like she is draining it. Her nose is pretty runny. I'll try to find some meaty baby food, but in the mean time I will discontinue the hi calorie paste and give her tuna and continue the pedialyte. Maybe hydrating her will give her an appetite like you said. I just hate stressing her out.
Expert:  Terri replied 5 years ago.

Awww the poor baby................I am so sorry she is so ill.

Don't overdo the pedialyte because that will stress her further..

Just give her about a tsp every hour for three hours. In between try the baby food.

If she dues not improbe she must get subQ fluids. Perhaps there is a mobile vet that could come over?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are subQ fluids and house calls for vets costly? I am home alone until 9:30 PM.
Expert:  Terri replied 5 years ago.

Call a mobile vet and explain the situation. Costs vary but I hope they will give you a break as she is an older , sick kitty.

Keep me updated.

Prayers for her,

Terri

Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience: Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I spoke with the local vet (not sure if they are mobile) and they told me that they are not sure whether the doctor would give Snowflakes the fluid bags. They told me to just take her in during the morning and get her checked again, which I am not sure I can do. Should I continue giving her fluids and soft food through the dropper until I can finally get her to the vet?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Oh, and I don't quite understand the "accept" feature. I would leave you a positive feedback, but is it going to recharge me? I thought it already had charged me once. It's sort of confusing.
Expert:  Terri replied 5 years ago.

Yes, maintain her throughout the night and lets pray.

Keep me updated.

It is my pleasure to help someone as lovely as you and your sweet baby.

I will always be here for both of you.

Thank you for your accept.Sending as an I R so U R not charged again.You were only charged once when you pressed accept.

Best wishes,

Terri

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey Terri,

Snowflakes passed away on the 15th. I found her lying in her litter box. I thought she might have just found an awkward place for a nap--but she was gone. I did everything I could for her, I gave her the baby food like you said and pedialyte with her water. I planned on taking her to the vet again that weekend to get a final diagnosis, and if there was not anything else we could do, I knew that I would have to put her down. Nature took its course before me, but at least she is not suffering anymore. I think her heart may have given up on her, or maybe she suffocated because of the mass around her heart giving her a difficult time breathing. Either way, I am sad that she is gone, but relieved that she no longer is in pain.

Tiffany
Expert:  Terri replied 5 years ago.

Dear Tiffany,

I am so sorry to hear this sad news about Snowflakes. My sincerest, heartfelt sympathy for your loss.

Love always,

Terri