Cheryl K.
Cheryl K., shelter volunteer
Experience:  14+ years of shelter work/ vaccinations/ disease/ illness/ injury/ medical care

My 10 yr old cat has extensive matting of his fur, following

Customer Question

My 10 yr old cat has extensive matting of his fur, following my absence for several weeks. He does not groom himself, & his caregiver failed to do so. Could you suggest a way to tranquilize him so I can trim the problem away.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 7 years ago.
There are natural suppliments that you can get at all local pet stores that will help to calm him but as far as anything that would tranquilize him you can ask your vet to prescribe a prescription medication that would work more thoroughly and longer. But the natural suppliments work well also you would just have to give them to him for about three days and get the into his system before they would work well enough for you to be able to trim him without taking him to a groomer. On that note taking him to a groomer might be your best alternative and it is not too costly depending on where you live. We get our cats groomed every three months and it costs us 22.00 so you might want to consider going that route as well.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Could you give me some direction re what ' natural supplements' would be appropriate?
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 7 years ago.
I use " Be Calm" but it depends on where you live as to what brand of suppliments your pet store would carry. What you would need to do is just go into the pet store and ask them where their natural suppliments are and look for the one that says for anxiety or nervousness. Some may even say a natural calming agent for car trips, vet visits etc but that would be the ones that you would want to get as they all have natural calming agents in them.