GenB
GenB, Retired Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Kitten, Adult, Geriatric Cat Care Specialist/ B.A. Neurophysiology & Animal Behavior/ Plain English!
1298761

what happens if the cat dont eat the afterbirth and the ubilical

what happens if the cat dont eat the afterbirth and the ubilical cord is still attached
Category: Cat
Expert:  GenB replied 5 years ago.
Do you need to get the kitten free of the placenta, or is the placenta still inside your cat?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
need to free placenta from kitten
Expert:  GenB replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thanks for researching this very important question!

It is not uncommon for a cat to "fill up" on placentas, or to be disinterested in them.

As long as the entire placenta has been delivered, and Momma is washing the kittens all over to dry them, things are going well.

You can wait up to an hour to see if she will indeed chew this placenta free (it might start to "bug" her after she gets through with the washing chores), or you can assist the removal once an hour has passed (sometimes there can be some bleeding if you cut the cord earlier than this).

If you do end up needing to cut this placenta away yourself:

1) Get a piece of plain sewing thread (or unwaxed dental floss--no wax or flavors!) and tie the cord about 1 and 1/2 inches away from the kitten's belly. Trim the thread ends to about 1/4 inch to make sure Momma doesn't get hurt if she accidentally swallows it later.

2) About 1/2 inch above the thread-tie (on the placenta side, that is)...use two fingers of one hand to twist and flatten the cord until it shreds away. This most closely mimics what happens in Nature when the Momma chews at the cord with her molar teeth--she is rubbing and squishing it, not cutting it straight through.

If this is not clear, please click "Reply"...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

can we touch the kittens whilst we do this the mother is still contracting and its been an hour or so since the last birth

Expert:  GenB replied 5 years ago.
If this is a tame pet cat (that is used to you handling her), then she should not object to you quietly, slowly and gently doing this in her presence (don't take the kitten out of the nest).

There is no rush with the cord, so don't be in a hurry or interfere with any delivery coming up.

If she has hard contractions for more than 20 minutes with no new delivery, then it will be time to call the Veterinary Emergency Service for support in-person. If the next kitten is stuck, then she cannot concentrate on anything else and will need medical help.

Let me know if you have other questions about this!

GenB, Retired Veterinary Technician
Experience: Kitten, Adult, Geriatric Cat Care Specialist/ B.A. Neurophysiology & Animal Behavior/ Plain English!