Dr. Marcia
Dr. Marcia, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  companion animal vet with 15 years experience in general medicine and surgery
10807259

my kitten has a umbilical hernia, if i were to get it fixed

Customer Question

my kitten has a umbilical hernia, if i were to get it fixed would she be able to have 1 litter of kittens before i get her spayed?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Marcia replied 7 years ago.
Justine,
thank you for writing in, and I hope I can be of some help and assistance to you. I appreciate your question!

Technically, yes, there is no medical reason why your cat could not have this hernia repaired and then go on to have a litter of kittens in normal fashion.
However, and this may not be the answer you want to hear, I would have to agree with your vet that this would not be a good idea. Vets are trained to promote responsible pet breeding, and it is not considered responsible breeding to breed animals with congenital (hereditary) defects, which means of course that you are creating potentially more kittens with the same defects. Umbilical hernias are a correctable defect, but they can be dangerous in some cases. Hernias are simply a hole in the abdominal muscle wall, and if there is a large hole, important abdominal contents (such as a loop of intestine) can get caught in the hole and lose blood supply. This can be a very dangerous situation. So allowing your cat to have a litter means that this danger continues into the next generation.
So, when congenital defects are seen, spaying/neutering is always recommended.
Certainly some vet might be willing to correct the hernia without spaying your cat, but this would be considered unethical by many vets. Our veterinary oath says, Do no Harm. And allowing a pet with congenital defects to breed can lead to harm.
I hope this makes sense. Thank you again for your question.

Dr. Marcia
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much, your answer is sad but it is good to hear from another vet. My kitten Cleo will not be having kittens.
I am so glad to hear that, and that you understand. I am sure your kitten is lovely and a great companion to you. Thank you again!
Dr. Marcia