Christian K.
Christian K., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in feline surgery, medicine and behavior

my cat ate some shelled pistachio nuts and now about an hour

my cat ate some shelled pistachio nuts(about 4) and now about an hour later he seems to be coughing almost like choking-are these poison to cats? he is breathing okay until one of these coughing fits happens, but he wants to hide. should i rush him to emergency?

This is Dr. Christian. Is he having trouble breathing? Do you know how many he ate?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
about 4 shelled nuts
Pistachios are not toxic but I am concerned a shell may be lodged in his throat. I do think it best that you have him checked out tonight. Anesthesia may be required in order to get a good look at the back of his throat. If he manages to inhale it the problems will be much worse. If you have more questions please let me know.