Dr.Beth
Dr.Beth, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Graduate of the University of Minnesota
12905457

my cat has had 2 kittens in the last 12 hrs at a friends they

Customer Question

my cat has had 2 kittens in the last 12 hrs at a friends they bought them all bk 2 us in a box like the last time. but she is acting differently, than all previous litters keeps meowing and has been in and out a few times whereas normally she does not leave the kittens for 2 days unless she needs to go toilet. she keeps pacing and we are worried something is wrong. we would be grateful for some advice thank you michelle thorn
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 7 years ago.
Hi Michelle,

From your description, I wonder if your cat has actually had more than two kittens. If she had her litter outside of your friend's house, she may be going out to try to get to them.   Have you tried following her when she goes outside to see what she is doing?

The other possible problem would be that she still has more kittens to birth. If her active labor has stopped and there are still kittens in her uterus, this is a problem. You may need to bring her to the vet to have them take a feel of her belly (or take x-rays) to see if she is finished birthing.

Dr. Beth

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank u beth she had them under the bed and friends have pulled all out and checked for more there is none so i will just have 2 keep an eye on her coz im not sure how long the breaks can be , but when they came back they were clean so im thinkin labour may have stopped!!!
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 7 years ago.
If a cat is interrupted while in labor, she can stop the labor and start up again up to one day later. I would make sure that she is comfortable, not in pain, and not actively contracting for longer than an hour with out producing a kitten. I would also try to provide her with a dark, warm, quite place to nurse her kittens and finish labor (if need be).

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok thank u
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 7 years ago.
You are welcome. I hope she settles soon.